Thread: Cannot connect to existing Samba share from 8.04

Beans

Cannot connect to existing Samba share from 8.04

I'm experiencing a problem connecting to a Samba share on my main storage server (Ubuntu 7.10) from my laptop since upgrading the laptop to 8.04.

Error message:
    Can't display location "smb://192.168.23.13/homes/"

The specified location is not mounted

There is a desktop shortcut for the Samba share on the desktop after the error, which if you look at the properties of, it starts counting the amount of files etc on the share. So it does look like it can see the share, just can't mount it.

All my other ubuntu systems (all running 7.10) can connect fine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this.

Piersb

Beans

Re: Cannot connect to existing Samba share from 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by piersb View Post
    I'm experiencing a problem connecting to a Samba share on my main storage server (Ubuntu 7.10) from my laptop since upgrading the laptop to 8.04.

Error message:
    Can't display location "smb://192.168.23.13/homes/"

The specified location is not mounted

There is a desktop shortcut for the Samba share on the desktop after the error, which if you look at the properties of, it starts counting the amount of files etc on the share. So it does look like it can see the share, just can't mount it.

All my other ubuntu systems (all running 7.10) can connect fine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this.

Piersb
    Similar problem here. Since installing 8.04 I cannot access any disk shares on my XP system from my Ubuntu system. Strange thing is that the shared printer on XP works fine. When I go to Places -> Network, I can see the Windows Network icon, then double-clicking on that shows the MSHOME workgroup, then double-clicking again shows the KARENH XP server. But thats as far as I get, another double-click shows none of the shared folders. This worked fine on 7.10, so maybe there is some configuration step I have forgotten on the 8.04 system??

(I just tested accessing these disk shares from Linux Mint and Debian - works fine.)
    Last edited by bhold; April 25th, 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Beans

Looks like this might be a bug that was not fixed before release of 8.04. The following link details exactly the same issues I have, mounting an authenticated homes share.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fs/+bug/209520

Hopefully this will get fixed soon!

Beans

Thanks for posting the link to the bug. After reading it I came up with a workaround using smbfs. Here is what I did, although maybe there is a better way - I am far from a networking expert.

1. Used synaptic to install smbfs.

2. Added my XP system to /etc/hosts

3. Use extensions to the mount command, enabled by smbfs, as follows...

sudo mount -t cifs //karenh/mydocs /mnt --verbose -o user=bhold

where karenh is the XP system name in /etc/hosts, mydocs is the XP share name, /mnt is the directory at which to make the shared files available, and bhold is the XP user name.

You will be prompted for a password - supply the XP password, not your linux password.

4. When done, you can umount with the following syntax...

sudo umount -t cifs //karenh/mydocs