Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 8.04 won't boot

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 8.04 won't boot

I "had" Hardy installed on sda3 and still there booting from a Live CD but not from GRUB.

When this issue will be solved ? That is not my idea of an LTS distibution altough somebody can blame macbook's proprietary hardware.

Beans

I had the same problem, the time that I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my MacBook 3,1. After installed ad reboot the black screen was coming "No bootable device" I updated the MBR with rEFIT. When I tried to boot ubuntu after that it just hang with penguin at a grey screen. Then I hold down my shutdown button and tried again and then it worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aab4ever View Post
    I had the same problem, the time that I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my MacBook 3,1. After installed ad reboot the black screen was coming "No bootable device" I updated the MBR with rEFIT. When I tried to boot ubuntu after that it just hang with penguin at a grey screen. Then I hold down my shutdown button and tried again and then it worked
    Yea I just had to powerdown and bootup again a couple times to get passed the Tux icon too... I think that I will modify that part of the how to a little bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Yea I just had to powerdown and bootup again a couple times to get passed the Tux icon too... I think that I will modify that part of the how to a little bit.
    I had to powerdown after an isight freeze and this action caused GRUB to mess with the partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo View Post
    I had to powerdown after an isight freeze and this action caused GRUB to mess with the partitions.
    GRUB can't "mess" with you partitions... It has no capability to write to disk that I know of.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I have two tuxes on rEFIT menu and only one works. Need to reinstall Hardy again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo View Post
    Well, I have two tuxes on rEFIT menu and only one works. Need to reinstall Hardy again.
    no you don't, you need to remove grub from the MBR because you have installed it to both the Ubuntu partition and to the MBR.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811240

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456