Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choppy video in Hardy

Beans

Choppy video in Hardy

Used restricted driver for my ATI Xpress 1150/Dell Vostro 1000. Games ran OK with desktop effects turned off. However, video playback is a bit pixelated, choppy and just lousy looking. With Gutsy the video ran superb (fullscreen looking fine).

It's annoying and I'd love to get it working OK. Are the restricted drivers somehow different for Hardy? Man, if I could just get it looking like I did on Gutsy.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Choppy video in Hardy

Hello,

I also have a problem with choppy video in Hardy. And I've also installed Beryl or something. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with an Ati Radeon 1150 Xpress videocard. I'm using the restricted video driver. Installed via the Hardware Drivers menu.

The problem I guess is when I enter "glxinfo" I see Direct Rendering is not enabled...

So how do I enable this direct rendering mode should be the question I guess. I've searched the internet but found only confusing options.

Does anybody know what we should do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yep. same problem here. Just upgraded, and how videos do not run smooth anymore (although compiz-fusion IS running normal).
    Also, gstreamer does not give me GL support anymore, and glxinfo says direct rendering is disabled.

Running Samsung X60 with ATI X1600 Graphics card.
    Used to work just fine in Gutsy. Can anybody please help ?

[UPDATE]
    just uninstalled the xserver-xgl package, and restarted the xserver. Without compiz fusion, glxinfo says direct rendering is enabled. Also videos run smoothly. But i cannot afford to loose compiz since i desperatly need the widget layer
    Last edited by SpaceTeddy; April 25th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTeddy View Post
    yep. same problem here. Just upgraded, and how videos do not run smooth anymore (although compiz-fusion IS running normal).
    Also, gstreamer does not give me GL support anymore, and glxinfo says direct rendering is disabled.

Running Samsung X60 with ATI X1600 Graphics card.
    Used to work just fine in Gutsy. Can anybody please help ?

[UPDATE]
    just uninstalled the xserver-xgl package, and restarted the xserver. Without compiz fusion, glxinfo says direct rendering is enabled. Also videos run smoothly. But i cannot afford to loose compiz since i desperatly need the widget layer
    Thanks. I also uninstalled that package now and everything seems to go a bit more smooth. And my videos are running normally smooth again.

Maybe if someone comes up with a solution for the XGL problem I'll reinstall it again though. But I don't really need it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As i am dependant on compiz (or rather, the widget layer) i've been testing some more.

my ATI driver load, and compiz seems to be using them, since compiz does run smoothyl. When the xgl server in not installed, i get the following output from fglrxinfo
    Code:
     fglrxinfo 
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release
    which means, afaik, that the drivers where loaded successfully. Also, running glxgears give me *very* smooth performance.

As soon as i install the xgl server, compiz seems to grab it, and then not share it with anything else. fglrxinfo show then only the MESA driver to be supported and glxgears run choppy at best.

So the question is - why is the gl support not passed through compiz anymore (which it used to be in gutsy - i know, i USED it) ?

is there really nobody out there that has an idea on how to fix this ?

Beans

If it is only the video playback being choppy, check what output you are using to playback (xv, gl, x11, ...).

You can change this in gstreamer-properties (if you are using totem with gstreamer). When using mplayer, you could test it using mplayer -vo xv test.avi

The new radeon driver makes it possible to use xv for compiz and still be able to play video's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i've already tried all settings available on gstreamer - they all produce the same output. What makes me wonder is that the gl-option form gestreamer has disappeared.

as for mplayer - i don't have it, but i can try to install it. Although i would more like to use totem, since that can use the gvfs to stream movies over ssh/sftp.

thanks for the tip

Beans
    I followed this and voila! Now videos look fine again! Did the trick for me.

Update:I had forgotten that I disabled the ATI driver under "Hardware Drivers" prior to this. I have desktop effects "off" as well. So, it looks like this:

Disable the driver and get smooth video playback. But, you can't play games, and Google Earth will cause a crash upon opening (at least for me). Compiz? Forget it.

Enable the driver and you get choppy, horrible video playback. You can play games and Google Earth works fine. Of course, I still have desktop effects "off".

Enable desktop settings (visual effects) under "normal" and you can't play games and of course, video playback is still horrible. Google Earth won't function with them enabled either.

I guess you have your choices but, seems a fix is in order for sure. While it's certainly possible to switch settings according to what you want to do, it's unrealistic.

So.....I wait. (sigh)
    Last edited by gfahey; April 25th, 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I experienced exactly the same. Disabled restricted driver for now to watch xvids ...

xserver-xgl + restricted ati driver:
    - window loading was damn slow, using firefox was a pain the in ***
    - allowed me to use mplayer with xv/gl but video was lagging both in mini and fs mode

xorg with restricted ati driver
    - compiz was cool, fast
    - mplayer -vo xv didnt start
    - with mplayer -vo gl video was blinking
    - tomato video was pixeled, choppy when went to fullscreen
    Last edited by szako; April 26th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

Am experiencing the same. I'm running X1950 XT (2 of them, linked for CrossFire which works OK in Windows. In Ubuntu I'm just trying to do basic things like watching a movie)

ATI Catalyst 8.4 driver (supports Hardy, allegedly) + xserver-xgl:
    -fglrxinfo shows MESA
    -Everything is slow.
    -Video in fullscreen mode not pixelated but slow.

ATI Catalyst 8.4 driver without xserver-xgl:
    -fglrxinfo shows ATI
    -Everything is smoother
    -Video in fullscreen mode smooth but pixelated. Played with Anti-asliasing options in Catalyst Control Centre but found no obvious effects.

Had no problem at all in Gutsy. Hope someone'll come up with a solution soon. Thanks

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast