Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Wacom on 8.04 Hardy

These are the steps I took to make my Wacom Bamboo Fun work in Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. These instructions should work for most Wacom tablets.

0. Make sure you have a couple hours available. This will take a while. Also, print off a copy of this post because you will need to restart your computer a couple of times. If something goes wrong, see the troubleshooting section at the end of this post.

1. Plug in your tablet and open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal). Enter the commands in the following steps line by line into the terminal, pressing enter after each command. If you are prompted for a password, type your password then press enter.

Code:
    lsusb | grep -i wacom
    Mine is a "056a:0017". Most models beginning with "056a" should work.

Code:
    mkdir wacom
    cd wacom
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential x11proto-core-dev libxau-dev libxdmcp-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev xtrans-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev linux-libc-dev libc6-dev libncurses5-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk-dev tcl-dev -y
    Code:
    wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linuxwacom/linuxwacom-0.8.0-3.tar.bz2
    tar xjf linuxwacom-0.8.0-3.tar.bz2
    cd linuxwacom-0.8.0-3
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/include/pixman-1/pixman.h /usr/include/pixman.h
    sudo ln -s /usr/include/pixman-1/pixman-version.h /usr/include/pixman-version.h
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-wacom
    make
    sudo make install
    Code:
    cd ..
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    9. Place the following lines near the beginning of the file. If you have a touchpad, make sure you place these lines before the "Synaptics Touchpad" Section.
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"stylus"
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
    	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
    #	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
    	Option		"USB"		"on"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"eraser"
    	Option		"Type"		"eraser"
    	Option		"USB"		"on"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"cursor"
    	Option		"Type"		"cursor"
    	Option		"USB"		"on"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"pad"
    	Option		"Type"		"pad"
    	Option		"USB"		"on"
    EndSection
    10. Find the section that looks somewhat like this. It will be near the end of the file.
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    	Inputdevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection
    11. Add these lines within the section you found in step 10.
    Code:
    	InputDevice     "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice	"pad"
    12. Save (Ctrl-S) and quit (Ctrl-Q).

Code:
    cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko wacom.ko.`uname -r`
    sudo cp linuxwacom-0.8.0-3/src/2.6.24/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    You may get an error on this step. If you do, please write down the error. If your tablet does not work when you finish this HOWTO, please post this error so I (or someone else) can work through it with you.

Code:
    sudo depmod -e
    Code:
    cd linuxwacom-0.8.0-3/prebuilt
    sudo ./uninstall
    sudo ./install
    Code:
    wget 'http://git.debian.org/?p=users/ron/wacom-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/xserver-xorg-input-wacom.udev;hb=master' -O wacom.udev
    cp /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules wacom.udev.backup
    sudo cp wacom.udev /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom -y
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom -y
    Code:
    sudo ./uninstall
    cd ..
    sudo make install
    19. Reboot your computer.

20. At this point, my tablet began working. If yours still is not, please post in this thread if you need help. Be sure to include any errors you received from the terminal. Also, include the ouput of the following two commands as an attachment (text file):
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ls -l /dev/input

Troubleshooting

Problem: X.org does not start after restarting your computer the first time.
    Solution:
    1. Restart your computer. You can do this either by pressing your power button or by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
    2. When you see "GRUB Loading... Please Wait" on your screen, press the Escape key.
    3. Scroll down to the "Recovery mode" entry with the arrow keys and press Enter. It is usually the second one.
    4. Once the messages stop scrolling on the screen, enter the following commands. Press enter after each line. Remember to replace "USERNAME" with your actual username. If you do not remember your username, see the troubleshooting #2 entry.
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.wacom_modified
    cp /home/USERNAME/wacom/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    reboot
    Problem: You do not remember your username.
    Solution: Run the following command. It will output a list of users. You will probably be able to recognize your username from this list.
    Code:
    cat /etc/passwd | grep "/home" | cut -d: -f1
    Problem: It didn't work.
    Solution: Read though the posts in this topic. If you do not find a solution that applies to you, post a new reply asking for help.
    Last edited by neko18; July 24th, 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Updated guide for latest stable version (0.8.0-3)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Thanks! That was fast

There is a little error in your guide. "make install" should be "sudo make install" because without permissions make install doesn't work.

Also, if you bold out "correctly" where it says "If your tablet works correctly, stop now" and put this in the sentence: "(That is, if your tablet does seem to work, but not like it normally would, for example if it functions like a touchpad)", that might help. I got my tablet to work using your guide, but on first reboot (before i did apt-get remove wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom, and installed those back), it functioned like a touchpad. When i followed those final instructions, however, my tablet functions normally. How do i customize my tablet now? And, for example, the pad? I ran wacomcpl but the list which normally has the components of the tablet, is empty. Also, how do i reset the settings of the tablet to the settings you get when first installing it?? I screwed up the settings once, when on Ubuntu Gutsy, and the 'defaults' button in wacomcpl didn't do much good.
    Last edited by arelis; April 25th, 2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Spotted an error in your guide

Beans

Thanks, worked liked a charm for me! Maybe this should go on the wiki?

Beans

it worked for me too. thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wow thanks Neko. Works better than ever. It got my Bamboo working right after step 19.

Beans

i don't know if by "working" you mean "is more than a mouse". If so then no, it's only acting like a mouse. [w/o box selection too...]

But if by working you mean 'responsive' then yes!

i thank you for this as well, as it has gotten my tablet responsive.

Now i just gotta get Gimp to recognize it...any links anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi.
    I have a problem with my Bamboo One tablet. However, I'm using 7.10 and I wonder if my tablet will finally start to "cooperate" under 8.04?
    I've did everything to make it work, but there's no /dev/input/wacom, no event in /dev/input/ is responding after cat eventx (where x is the number of event). So if there's anyone with Bamboo One, please share your experience with that model and Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi Snake,

The Bamboo is automatically recognized in 8.04 but it has to be configured through the use of this guide. Otherwise, the stylus moves the cursor on the screen but very slowly and the tablet basically behaves like a touchpad.

In 7.10 the Bamboo didn't function at all through plug and play. It can be made to work though. There's a guide on this forum that worked for me 100%.

I'm using the Bamboo in 8.04 as I write this, works super smooth thanks to this guide.

Edit:
    Didn't notice you were referring to the Bamboo One. In that case, this might help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...05&postcount=4
    Last edited by Eastisle; April 26th, 2008 at 03:25 AM.

Beans

This works perfectly on my X61 tablet!

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@arelis
    Thank you for the suggestions. I modified the howto accordingly.

To get `wacomcpl` working correctly, open a terminal and enter the following commands. I updated the howto to include them.
    Code:
    cd wacom/linuxwacom-0.7.9-11/prebuilt
    sudo ./uninstall
    cd ..
    sudo make install
    wacomcpl
    @Nesmontu
    Thanks for the suggestion. I posted a link to this thread on the wiki.

@jazzroy, @Eastile
    I'm glad you got your tablet working.

@ChromeKaldra
    Please reboot your computer with the tablet plugged in, then run the following command. Reply to this thread with its output.
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/input
    @SnakeArtworX
    The link Eastile gave in his edit should work.

@adamsad1
    I didn't realize this worked for serial tablets as well as USB tablets. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Last edited by neko18; April 26th, 2008 at 09:55 AM.

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast