Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why to Love/Hate C++

Beans

Re: Why does this compile in Windows, but not Linux???

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    Obviously C++ doesn't work for you, but it works for a lot of other people.

Get what? Who are "they"? Confronted?
    *sigh* .. the smug lisp weenies of course! .. i was "a C++ weenie" at the time

Quote Originally Posted by samjh
    If you remove FOR from C++, then you no longer have C++. It's something like C++ without FOR.
    uh, yes .. is this so hard to imagine?

lisp doesn't have FOR, but i've added it .. there .. now try this in C++ .. name it FOR2 if you want so you do not create a conflict

Seriously you use the tools that are available. C++ has FOR, so if you need FOR, you use it. Why do something crazy like removing FOR from C++?
    the point was of course to _add_ FOR .. but ok, add a FOR2 instead that is exactly like the FOR already found in c++

*sigh* ..whatever works for you .. maybe i cannot explain this to you .. or?

Unfortunately, this is true. But it is true for any programming language if you use it badly,
    actually, no .. c++ lacks "the power" (to use these tired old words again) to fix things once and for all even if you "used it _perfectly_"

or are not mentally suited for that language.
    i would not find this insulting at all if said to me .. i'd take it as a compliment!

..in the same way i'd take a statement like "me not being mentally suited for <insert-some-******-mindless-job>" as a compliment (think of the most mentally destructive and degrading type of task you can imagine)

Obviously C++ doesn't jive well with your way of thinking. Nothing wrong with that
    sure

Some people can handle a tool better than another.
    ah-ah, wait .. this tool cannot do what this other tool can do .. at .. all .. no matter how skilled one is

..so it is in fact, not as much about how one handle to the tool as you seem to think it is..

again; c++ can _not_ "be what you want it to be" .. as you said

It is far too presumptuous to think that the many C++ programmers in the world are all idiots or crazy because they like C++.
    i never said this; they are just all wrong .. nothing wrong or idiotic or crazy about that

edit: hah, i told you i'd end up as a smug lisp weeny =)
    Last edited by lnostdal; April 25th, 2008 at 02:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Why to Love/Hate C++

Quote Originally Posted by lnostdl
    i would not find this insulting at all if said to me .. i'd take it as a compliment!
    It should be neither a compliment or insult. Some people find some things easier and better than what others find. Fact of life, really.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Yeah? So?

This thread is in the Holy Wars of Programming thread (link in sticky)

I just have on thing to say about C++ (it being my first language, I feel I have a right to say this):

Sigh... I have now become a war-monger, on a side I do not wish to fight for (C++). Time for a strategic withdrawal and declaration of neutrality now.

Last edited by samjh; April 25th, 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    Sigh... I have now become a war-monger, on a side I do not wish to fight for (C++). Time for a strategic withdrawal and declaration of neutrality now.

You could find a smiley that can take that one on, but that would be futile (all resistance is), as I have the ultimate warrior.

C++ is a somewhat useful static typed OO language with some compatibility of C and has some of its features, but it is, IMO, a language for a niche. It is low level enough to make things difficult, and high level enough to make low level programming harder. Using C++ well usually means using as few of its features as possible (no arrays, pointers, etc) and using the STL, Boost or QT. I think, from tseliot's posts, C++ and QT go together very well, so maybe that is one of its stronger points.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

My only experience with C++ was just for familiarisation, and to see whether it is a language I wished to learn more about. I decided it was just too much trouble. I prefer C over C++ purely for its simplicity and transparency, along with other languages that are as efficient with less pitfalls than C++.

There are safety-critical implementations of C++ with so many features removed that it is not much different from C. And then you've got libraries like QT which purists would not even consider as C++.

It's a convoluted language. At least for me. But not for all people, as I mentioned earlier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Post Re: Why to Love/Hate C++

It sounds like you think C++ is horrible and that you want everyone else to think it's horrible.

Tell that to all the professionals who swear to it. There's a reason why most professionals use it, it's the fastest, efficient code out there.

But if you're not a professional striving to communicate the most efficiently with hardware, it's pointless...

So please, no flaming.
    Registered Linux User #470370

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLinux94 View Post
    Tell that to all the professionals who swear to it. There's a reason why most professionals use it, it's the fastest, efficient code out there.

But if you're not a professional striving to communicate the most efficiently with hardware, it's pointless...
    Professionals should be more concerned with using the most efficient tool, rather than swearing by any language.

Beans

It sounds like you think C++ is horrible and that you want everyone else to think it's horrible.
    oh, i don't give a rats *** about what "everyone else" thinks .. i can think for myself you know

..so, do you have this; an opinion of your own?

Tell that to all the professionals who swear to it.
    sure thing .. this is the internet; they can already read what i've said (edit: not that i'd recommend them or anyone doing it though, it is a dirty quick rant ..) .. and i'd tell it to anyone face to face any day if they asked me about these things

..are you one of these "professionals"?

There's a reason why most professionals use it,
    *beep* .. wrong

it's the fastest, efficient code out there.
    nonsense

oh, i do this every day .. but i don't need c++ for that tho .. and i hate labels, so you can just call me Lars and drop the "professional" thing
    Last edited by lnostdal; April 25th, 2008 at 04:20 AM.

Beans

C is a much more logical language for that kind of low-level interfacing.

So please, no flaming.
    You can't make claims like this and expect not to be flamed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

... it's the fastest, efficient code out there ...
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wybiral View Post
    You can't make claims like this and expect not to be flamed

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast