Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Thumbnails for OpenOffice.org 2 files

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Thumbnails for OpenOffice.org 2 files

@cristianfere,

Your package works great in Ubuntu 9.05. Thanks (I haven't tried any of the previous versions that have been posted because I've only just found this thread).

Once small thing though; The first time I open Nautilus, if I browse to a folder that contains files in OOO or MS Office format that haven't had their thumbnails generated yet, the first two or three thumbnails don't generate.

There is clearly something loading in the background so I guess it hasn't finished loading in time to catch the first couple of files.

So that this doesn't become a big problem I've set up a cron job to delete all the files from ~/.thumbnails/fail/gnome-thumbnail-factory/ every hour so they will hopefully get regenerated the next time I browse to that folder.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have installed the ooo-thumbnailer package but Nautilus isn't using it to create the thumbnails. How do I cause Nautilus to start using the script?
    Thanks,
    Marion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MES5464 View Post
    I have installed the ooo-thumbnailer package but Nautilus isn't using it to create the thumbnails. How do I cause Nautilus to start using the script?
    I find that sometimes you have to log in and out again for changes to take effect.
    There's a later version of ooo-thumbnailer in this PPA.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi there,

i installed tried the early scripts which worked except for adding a white background to the thumbnails. Then i installed the packages proposed by Cristinafere on post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=89
    There is yet no white background to the ODT thumbnails.

Should i do anything?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Correction! it works after i re-save the file!

Thanks guys! This is cool stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ronjouch pointed out to me that libgsf-bin does the same job as ooo-thumbnailer, plus it handles Microsoft Office documents that have thumbnails saved in their metadata. Unfortunately, OpenOffice.org doesn't save thumbnails in Word documents or Excel spreadsheets by default (see this thread).

This means the only advantage ooo-thumbnailer has over libgsf-bin is that ooo-thumbnailer overlays a little OpenOffice.org icon in the lower right corner of the thumbnails.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've released version 0.3.1 of ooo-thumbnailer. Here are the new features:

• supports Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets and presentations (2003 and 2007).
    • supports OpenOffice.org templates
    • generates thumbnails for Microsoft Office files, even if preview information had not been embedded in those files. This beats libgsf-bin.

You can get the new version from this PPA, and you can get the source code from the launchpad project. Feedback welcome.

Beans

Nice one, thanks.

Beans

This new version seems to be a bit selective about what MS Office files it generates thumbnails for. All the ones I've tested are below the size limit in the config file. Is there any logging to be had?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Indeed, it is selective, according to the settings in ~/.config/ooo-thumbnailer.conf.
    Code:
    # User options for ooo-thumbnailer file
    OOOTHUMBNAILER_TIMEOUT=10 # in seconds
    OOOTHUMBNAILER_UNOCONV_MAX_SIZE=8000000 # in bytes
    If the file is taking more than 10 seconds to thumbnail, ooo-thumbnailer will automatically quit.

Microsoft Office files can be saved with or without a thumbnail (see this page) if you're using Office. Unfortunately, OpenOffice.org always saves office files without thumbnails (see this bug).

The supported Microsoft Office file type are .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt and .pptx.

If ooo-thumbnailer encounters an Office file without a thumbnail, it converts it to an OpenOffice.org file using unoconv and grabs the preview from that. This operation can take a long time, hence the time limit and the size limit.

If you want to disable the time and size limits, set the options to:
    Code:
    OOOTHUMBNAILER_TIMEOUT=-1
    OOOTHUMBNAILER_UNOCONV_MAX_SIZE=-1
    If a file is still not being thumbnailed, try this on the command line:
    Code:
    ooo-thumbnailer document.doc preview.png 128
    and send me the output in a bug report.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast