Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, still with the b43-phy0 loop error??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Seriously, still with the b43-phy0 loop error??

I actually won a bet on this that it would slide through from Alpha, to Beta and onto the Hardy Heron main release:

This error, marked here as closed, is still very much alive.

Copied from the bug report:

[ 949.312699] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input25
    [ 474.362628] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
    [ 474.362636] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...devicefirmware and download the correct firmware (version 4).

This is not some usability error, this is a crippling, no-upgrade without notebook surgery kind of error. Seriously, I cannot begin to state aloud how tired I am of the community still trying to support a wireless card most people would be better off ignoring IMHO.

I have never bothered using that POS wireless card in the first place, as I always had the freedom to use my Ralink dongle which works quite well and does not loop my computer as to not even allowing me to use it....

Surely, for the love of life, there is a way to simply blacklist this stupid driver??

Looks like it will remain a Gutsy notebook for the time being, unless someone has a solution of a means of blocking this stupid thing from loading?

Before suggesting to simply download the unwanted driver or to use the alternative CD install, these have all been proven abysmal failures for this bug, thanks.
    Last edited by ctsdownloads; April 25th, 2008 at 01:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Seriously, still with the b43-phy0 loop error??

Same deal with my old Averatec 3225HS. Happened with both 7.10 and now 8.04.

Ran the alternate install for 7.10, and while it installed, I spent over fifteen fruitless hours trying to get the wireless up and running -- ndiswrapper, fwcutter, the works. I'm not putting myself through that again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same deal with my old Averatec 3225HS. Happened with both 7.10 and now 8.04.

Ran the alternate install for 7.10, and while it installed, I spent over fifteen fruitless hours trying to get the wireless up and running -- ndiswrapper, fwcutter, the works. I'm not putting myself through that again.
    Actually, I am good without the Broadcom garbage chipset, never wanted or needed it supported. I have plenty of natively work wireless options..Ijust want to get the darn distro upgraded on my Averatec 3200.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, it's probably irrational, but I hate the idea of buying a discrete wireless card for a machine that works perfectly well under WinXP. Oh well.

Anyhoo, have you tried the alternate installer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having been through this before pre-release, I already know booting from any of the CDs (alternate or otherwise) fails with the same error. That said, I am going to try this.

The trick will be to see if it will have the same boot error. And sadly, this would be so preventable by simply providing a boot option to black list this - that is all that would be needed, but whatever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be honest, this is what drove me to buying a System76 notebook - quality control. See, they test all of this out, then repair crap like this so it is never passed onto their users. I just bought a Gazelle Value - worth every, single penny - and it is Intel wireless, so the Broadcom users can keep their damned b43 module!

Afterall, just because I fully support the distro does not mean I drink the koolaid completely. And let's be honest, it can be pretty buggy when compared to other distros.

I followed this advice: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=734003

Basically the guy puts up an init.d script that removes the b43 module and loads the ndiswrapper module. There are some other modules he's unplugging and replugging too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Patsoe View Post
    I followed this advice: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=734003

Basically the guy puts up an init.d script that removes the b43 module and loads the ndiswrapper module. There are some other modules he's unplugging and replugging too.
    This rocks, should you be able to get the notebook started....

It's a boot-stopping loop error, so some Broadcom chipsets can squeeze through, but some older ones will most certainly not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wait, just had a brain-fart - would it not be possible to get to a CLI and simply rmmod the stupid module from loading? I wonder, assuming of course, that the same loop error does not take place as I enter a non-X environment. Grrrr.

Oh. That sucks. Now I understand what you said about mentioning the alternate cd install.

Anyway, I'll be voting with my money: no more Broadcom hardware if I can help it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast