Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] xmms in Hardy

Beans

[SOLVED] xmms in Hardy

I want to be able to listen to shoutcast radio but when I try I get a message saying UNABLE TO TUNE IN--dailed to execute child process "XMMS"
    no such file or directory.

Unable to load XMMS in Hardy

Any solutions

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: xmms in Hardy

From what I can tell, maybe XMMS isn't playing because it has not been installed? XMMS isn't in add/remove programs in hardy. I had to do some digging to find a .deb for it (I use XMMS too).

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/i...070601-1build2
    Try downloading the xmms.deb and install it. Sorry if I misunderstood your problem.

EDIT: I should add that that .deb is for i386 processors. If you need another build for a different processor, go to https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/xmms/ and select the binary build for your processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Re: xmms in Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Otter View Post
    I want to be able to listen to shoutcast radio but when I try I get a message saying UNABLE TO TUNE IN--dailed to execute child process "XMMS"
    no such file or directory.

Unable to load XMMS in Hardy

Any solutions
    Just go to Streamtuner's preferences and in the Applications tab change XMMS to totem or any other media player you are using. You do not necessarily need to install XMMS to make Streamtuner play web radio streams.

Beans

Install realaudio (RealPlayer11GOLD.bin). Then go into preferences in streamtuner
    (or whatever player your using) and replace xmms with realplay everwhere you see it.

Works fine on my AMD-64, Hardy.

fb

Beans

For some reason XMMS was removed during clean up
    thanx for posting link to the deb.. I hope it'll work for me

edit:
    It works fine for me

btw, does anyone know where I can find a log of the packages deleted during cleanup? maybe more stuff was deleted that I still want :/
    Last edited by Novus; April 25th, 2008 at 02:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you upgrade or install fresh.

Beans

Many thanks to all who replied-and to Jimmy Hopkins for solution

Beans

i don't know if you guys did a clean install or not, but xmms was removed from hardy. use audacious, its better any way.
    discussion here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=758942
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans

Nice to be refered to a closed discussion. NO audacious isn't better. I downloaded just to check it out.. and guess if I got a surprise when I clicked the "I" in the main window.. (I meant to click the A but missed ) the precious audacious crashes and I start it again and all setting is reset to default.. audacious is better? IMHO we get a crap program thats still in alpha stage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the deb link. Very happy to have XMMS back.

Notes:

- The "closed discussion" mentioned above has info on compiling from source around page 4, if people would like to do that. XMMS has a slighly newer 1.2.11 version out. I went with the 1.2.10 of the deb.

- Audacious as a XMMS replacement... So far I have three issues with that, but maybe folks have soltions for them:

1. Animated effect when dragging player - it's not just irritating eyecandy on a lightweight player, but bogs badly on my slower machine. Where's the OFF switch?
    2. Supposedly it uses Winamp skins, but they don't work. Do you have to change all the little BMP files to PNG?
    3. Doesn't seem to have an equivalent for xmms-volnorm (gives all songs the same volume level).

Things like that are probably why some people don't agree that it's the same thing. And XMMS is noticeably lighter on the slower box. I'm very glad to have it back myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast