Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual booting with Vista - Seeking reassurance

Beans

Question Dual booting with Vista - Seeking reassurance

Greetings,

I've been considering giving Linux a try and after some research, decided to start with Ubuntu. Fed up as I am with Windows, I'd still like to keep it for gaming and such. I've read articles and watched video tutorials on dual booting, however I still want a little reassurance that everything will work out.

So, currently I have my computer setup thuswise: I have 2 HDDs, a 250GB one and a 500GB one. The first, smaller drive is split into 2 partitions - a 50GB partition for Vista, and the rest for storage. The second, bigger drive is also for storage.

I'm planning on giving Ubuntu its own partition on the second drive, perhaps 30GB in size. I will use Vista to shrink the current volume and format the unallocated space to create a new partition, and install Ubuntu here.

So my first, simple question arises: Can I be sure that I won't damage or over-write my Vista installation/existing files? I'll be able to choose which OS to boot to every time I start up my computer? I know it's a simple question and I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just need some words of comforting reassurance!

My second question pertains to display drivers. I've obviously got the latest nVidia display drivers installed on my system for Windows, but will I have to download and install display drivers for Linux, too? If I do, I'm guessing they won't interfere with my existing Windows drivers?

I know these are really basic questions that are asked a hundred times, but venturing out into a new OS is something I look upon with both excitement and trepidation. I obviously poked around the documentation and this forum first, however couldn't see a definite answer to my display driver question, and the dual boot tutorials I've read/watched either start with a totally blank drive, or involve only one physical HDD (I'm going to end up with 4 partitions over 2 HDDs.. Possibly 5 if I need a swap drive?)The last thing I want to do is mess up my system.

Many thanks!

Ex.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Dual booting with Vista - Seeking reassurance

I have myself dual booted Ubuntu and other distros with Windows (all current versions) on numerous occasions and it has been successful every time so I don't see why you should have any problem, especially if the drive is already partitioned and all you have to do is point Ubuntu to install there.

All should go smooth, worry not . (Just to be safe, it doesn't hurt to back up your files. You should try to always do this regularly.)

After Ubuntu installs, it will automatically configure your boot manager to give you an option as to which OS you want to start up in whenever you boot your computer.

As for your nvidia drivers, depending on your card, if Ubuntu does not auto detect them with the restricted driver manager, you will have to download them from Nvidia's site.

To answer your question, no these will not interfere with the Windows drivers in anyway. Once you get Ubuntu installed you can post back here and I can help you getting that done.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I will be more then willing to help. Good Luck! I hope you enjoy Ubuntu!
    Last edited by dyous87; April 25th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Use the wubi installer that comes with Ubuntu 8.04 or download Wubi from:
    http://wubi-installer.org/
    This little gem lets you install from windows, dual boot, and if for some reason you don't like it, you just uninstall it from windows using the windows software manager. Works great, and lets you try Linux without the big commitment.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Make sure you DEFRAG the HDD you are going to shrink.

Beans

Ooh, this Wubi thing looks interesting. I shall check it out. Stupid question but: it does work, doesn't it? Edit: Looking at it it suggests that I won't even need to bother partitioning my hard drive. Is this correct? Will I still get full Ubuntu functionality and the option to boot into either OS at startup?

And OK, I thought Dual-booting should be fine but when your precious files are at stake, not to mention the threat of an hour or two of troubleshooting or having to reinstall Windows, I like to be certain!

And OK, I was a little confused as to whether I needed Linux and Windows drivers. Thanks for clearing that up.

I expect I shall post again after I've installed Ubuntu (tomorrow, I'm going to bed now), probably with some more incredibly basic questions.

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful replies !

Beans

I dual-boot XP and Ubuntu, and know a guy who boots Ubuntu and Vista. You should be fine as long as you don't tell it to install to your Vista partition. Ubuntu doesn't automatically run in and try to take over your HD, it installs to the specified partition.

As far as the drivers, they will not interfere with each other. Drivers are linked more to the OS than the actual GPU. That is, they don't project themselves onto the GPU. I myself am running a 7600GT, and Restricted Drivers Manager found it right off the bat.

You will end up with five partitions, [1] Vista on HD1 [2] Storage on HD1 [3] Ubuntu main on HD2 [4] Ubuntu swap on HD2 (this should be twice the size of your RAM) and [5] Storage on HD2. If you are very paranoid about keeping Vista safe, you could unplug the HD inside your computer before you install and then plug it back in after the installation.

Good luck with Ubuntu! Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are so many helpful people here that helped (and continue to help) me get Ubuntu working on my computer. That, after all, is one of the biggest reasons Ubuntu is so popular.
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans
    Hidden!

Extraneous,
    You may want to look at EasyBCD as well (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

EasyBCD looks interesting - Tweaky things fascinate me.

OK, I'll make sure to add a swap partition as well as one for Ubuntu. Should I do this through Vista or using the Ubuntu installer? Am I correct in thinking that the swap partition shouldn't be NTFS? And while I won't go so far as disconnecting my other hard drive, I'll be sure to back up files I'm worried about losing.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

dont forget to backup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey
    I successfully dual-booted Ubuntu and xp and Ubuntu and vista
    Don't be scared! everything goes smoothly and just like th tutorials
    I don't recommend you to install Wubi, what if you want to completely switch to Ubuntu later? also, Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) doesn't run that well on Wubi.
    And remember BACK UP! I don't care if you use an external drive, online storage or your iPod just make sure everything important on your computer is backed up!

Good luck!
    If the above was useful to you please thank me by clicking the star button at the bottom-right of the post.
    Miss iTunes? Check out the iTunes Linux Project!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast