Thread: DNS Problems on 7.10 Server

Beans

DNS Problems on 7.10 Server

Hi Guys,

I just successfully installed 7.10 Sparc Server on my Sun Ultra 10 . I can't wait to get it working, but I'm having a problem with DNS servers.

There are three DNS servers that need to be looked up, but I think i'm doing something wrong. I can ping any ip address (of say google or other computers), but i can't actually ping "www.google.com". This leads me to believe that it must be a DNS issue.

In my /etc/network/interfaces file, i have the following:

Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
         address <blah>
         netmask <blah>
         gateway <blah>
         dns-search <blah>
         dns-nameservers <blah>
    I'm not sure why this is not working. Is there somewhere else I'm supposed to specify the dns servers? I read somewhere I need resolvconf to be able to put the "dns-search" and "dns-nameservers" in my /etc/network/interfaces file. Does that not come with the server edition?

In my other ubuntu desktop, I have network manager and the entire GUI to set the DNS servers, so it's much easier. However, I can't download the GUI because I can't access any of the packages because my DNS is not working . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: DNS Problems on 7.10 Server

My desktop has DNS information (search and nameserver) stored in /etc/resolv.conf
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well, i wrote an entire howto for you, but realized that you're using static settings.

i'm not sure why, but many sites and howto's are leaning toward gui directions via the cli (ex. [sudo gedit] instead of [sudo vi] or [sudo nano]). seems counter productive when you're working with so many variations in desktop versions, but i suppose that's just a personal rant rather than actually helpful to you.

here's a cli only howto for setting up static ip addressing, which also includes how to set up static dns servers: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-...iguration.html
    Last edited by dmizer; April 25th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys! Everything is working now