Thread: Release Candidate

Beans

Release Candidate

Is the Release candidate the exactly the same as the actual release of Hardy Heron?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Release Candidate

No but the release candidate should have been withdrawn because the actual release 8.10 is now available.
    Either way though RC or release doing the updates should bring your system to the same state.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

except for the couple updates that came out a couple days ago if you already have installed leave it. If you have the iso install it. The update manager will update update to official release like I said it's only a couple updates I started with alpha five installing all updates along the way I had the final version of Ubuntu 8.04 a couple of days ago
    Last edited by swoll1980; April 24th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

Then I guess I better download and burn the actual release. The thing is I have the release candidate installed. I have Compiz working. My video driver seems to be working fine as well. The only thing that I would like to get working that is not working yet is my Creative Soundblaster XFi Extreme Gamer sound card. If someone were able to put that driver in the repos (even though it is only a beta), then I would download, and reburn in less than a heartbeat.

I actually only have Linux on my machine at the moment and the only reason that I would ever consider going back to Windows would be because the sound card work in Windows and income tax software. Otherwise I am happy never to touch windows again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    Then I guess I better download and burn the actual release. The thing is I have the release candidate installed. I have Compiz working. My video driver seems to be working fine as well. The only thing that I would like to get working that is not working yet is my Creative Soundblaster XFi Extreme Gamer sound card. If someone were able to put that driver in the repos (even though it is only a beta), then I would download, and reburn in less than a heartbeat.

I actually only have Linux on my machine at the moment and the only reason that I would ever consider going back to Windows would be because the sound card work in Windows and income tax software. Otherwise I am happy never to touch windows again.
    I don't know about the tax software-something could be out there, but for the sound issue check this.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks for this. I was also wondering if the RC would upgrade itself to the final release version. It sounds like it will. Awesome.
    Three simple words: Read the manual.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    I don't know where you live, but here in Canada, Quick Tax, lets you file your taxes online instead of buying their software and installing it.

That's what I'm doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The RC should upgrade to the release, but I'm sure how to tidy up Grub at startup to get rid of the "development branch" labels though without manual editing

Beans

Something minor I noticed, with the Beta and RC the usplash was at a low resolution and looked not good. I did a clean install of the LTS and it's much better. I don't know yet what else is different but that is 1 thing I noticed.
    Microsoft Vista | Ubuntu 8.10
    HP | DV6910US
    Ubuntu Registered User # 20970
    Linux Registered User # 449097

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have noticed variation in the Ubuntu splash screen and progress bar too.

By the way to tidy up the GRUB menu, run
    sudo update-grub