Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] Iso?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Iso?

i was gonna suggest bittorrent too, but it sucks that you're stuck with a monopoly isp that throttles. here in the uk, nearly all ISPs have throtting or 'fair use' policies that punish you for downloading a lot, but i dont think the throttling is as bad as in america and canada. still, if the servers are really slow and they dont throttle your torrents too much you could always check it out. or try and find an ubuntu mirror that's located somewhere where the population will be asleep

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Good point.

The ".iso" file I downloaded for Ubuntu was 631 MB, so it should fit on a CD-RW.

Incidentally for anyone reading this thread with the same problem - there is Ubuntu documentation on how to do all this. It should be linked from the download page, but it isn't.

It is at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    Last edited by howefield; April 10th, 2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The ubuntu 8.04 iso is 699 MB in size.
    Linux User# 462909

Beans
    Distro

That might explain how corrupted my file was!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ahunt View Post
    That might explain how corrupted my file was!
    It's amazing it even loaded in the first place...

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Iso?

I thought I would write a quick conclusion to this tale. On Friday night I tried an ".iso" download from a quieter mirror and got the complete file in 45 minutes. WinMD5Sum tested it and declared that the hash marks matched. I used the Alex Feinman ISO recorder to burn it on a CD-R at 1X and tested the CD. It failed. I figured it must be a bad CD, so I burned another one at 4X and that one passed! (sounds like "burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp")

The installation of Hardy Heron went fine, at least as soon as I had figured out "PolicyKit" to the point where I could give myself permission to open the CD drive. PolicyKit is a bit overboard for home users, although maybe okay for office or places like public libraries.

We are now up and running with Hardy Heron. Overall it is very impressive - better than Gutsy and even better than Windows XP. Vista is a sad joke next to Hardy Heron!

My thanks again to everyone who contributed here. As always the community support here on the forum is amazing and makes any Ubuntu glitches easy to solve! Thank you!

Beans

Other Kings said I was daft to build a castle in a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em...

Sorry. Glad to hear you got it working though!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123