Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans

Hardy freezes

I have installed it seems everything is fine then bang it just freezes and locks up I have to do a hard reboot.

Hard reboot is not good for your hard drive i am not happy about this i am banging my brains out on a solution

I have the ati 1150 and broadcom

any suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hardy freezes

Quote Originally Posted by revelationman View Post
    I have installed it seems everything is fine then bang it just freezes and locks up I have to do a hard reboot.

Hard reboot is not good for your hard drive i am not happy about this i am banging my brains out on a solution

I have the ati 1150 and broadcom

any suggestion
    This is most definetly related to the har locks issue that was going on with both the Beta and the RC. The theory is that it's related to the wireless drivers. But, this is present on a vast array of wireless devices.

I love Ubuntu, but I'm staying off of it till wireless gets fixed.
    Phenom FX-5000 Quad Core @ 2.9Ghz, 4GB DDR2
    NVidia 9800GT 512MB w/Accelero S1+Turbo Module
    ------------------
    Dell XPS M1330, 13" LCD, 4GB ram, Intel gfx accelerator

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quadomatic View Post
    This is most definetly related to the har locks issue that was going on with both the Beta and the RC. The theory is that it's related to the wireless drivers. But, this is present on a vast array of wireless devices.

I love Ubuntu, but I'm staying off of it till wireless gets fixed.

It is very frustrating I do not want to go back to Windows but you cannot hard boot the pc you will not have a hard drive very long

i am hoping a developer can shed some light on this hardy is a good built it loads faster then gusty i am willing to stick by but if it freezes again i will have no choice but to look for a different distro

Beans

I have more information from my syslogs

Apr 25 08:02:06 brian-revelationman kernel: [ 6635.421815] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.

Apr 25 08:02:06 brian-revelationman kernel: [ 6635.422743] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.

Apr 25 08:02:09 brian-revelationman NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_device_802_11_wireless_get_mode(): error getting card mode on wlan0: No such device

Apr 25 08:02:18 brian-revelationman kernel: [ 156.170367] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found

Apr 25 08:02:18 brian-revelationman pulseaudio[5784]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

Apr 25 08:08:48 brian-revelationman kernel: [ 8.944619] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found

Apr 25 08:09:45 brian-revelationman gdm[5437]: WARNING: main daemon: Got SIGABRT. Something went very wrong. Going down!

Apr 25 08:09:46 brian-revelationman avahi-daemon[5066]: Got SIGTERM, quitting.

I found some logs but I just do not know why the system just locks up and freezes

From what I am reading on Hardy there has been a variety of problems,

I hope someone has some answer on this

I will reinstall Hardy but if it happens again I might have to find another distribution for this laptop. I have heard that Suse Linux is certified for this laptop. I hope there is a solution .

Beans

I guess no one has a clue on this one it has frooze up again this the third time this has happened.

It never frooze with gutsy so it is obvious the issue is with hardy sadly

As they say someone has dropped the ball back to XP sadly till the bugs are ironed out

Beans

I have the same problem! I'm really concerned about my hard disk but don't wane switch back to Vista.

Is there any bug report? Are the Ubuntu guys working on it? Can I help with information?

Would be cool to know about the progress!

Beans

i have the same problem with 8.04 for me hardy randomly hangs with the cursor frozen, leaving me no option but to reboot. it was so bad that i couldn't even download the ati drivers (it kept crashing before the download finished)

at the mo i'm back on 7.10
    Last edited by brethren; April 25th, 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

I'm seeing the exact same issues with the following hardware specs:

Asus A8V motherboard
    Athlon X2 3800+ Processor
    1024MB Kingston DDR-SDRAM
    160GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA HDD
    Sony PATA CDRW
    ATI Radeon X1950XT AGP
    Onboard everything else

RAM, HDD both pass diagnostics, and I'm not seeing stability issues in Gutsy or Windows XP. Video card and CPU both running cool. This does not appear to be a hardware problem of any type; it's isolated strictly to my installation of Hardy. I've wiped/clean slate installed three times, to two different (known good) hard drives.

I'm seeing this with or without restricted ATI driver, with Compiz on or off, and at completely random times. So far I have not been able to catch any log data or terminal output. Where should I be looking and what data can I provide to help troubleshoot this?

Beans

I feel your pain. I have a system that is rock-solid with 7.04. I use it as a personal web server, so it never gets shut off. I get months of uninterrupted uptime.
    I swapped out the hard drive, installed 8.04 and it freezes within minutes of booting. I can move the mouse, but the desktop is not responsive. CTRL-ALT-Backspace and CTRL-ALT-DEL do nothing.
    There doesn't seem to be any pattern behind the freeze. It will happen when I'm browsing with Firefox, when I'm reading the logs trying to figure out the previous crash or just sitting there doing nothing.
    I tested and swapped out the RAM so that's not the problem. Tested the hard drive and it appears to be fine.

Gigabyte 7ZXE Mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    1024 Mb RAM
    ATI Radeon 8500
    250 Gb WD HD
    DVD-ROM and DVD-RW

Beans

I was just looking around the forums to see if anyone else has this sort of problem and if they have any idea what it's cause by.
    I think the original poster's problem may be different but read through this and see if it matches your problems.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/204996

It's importance is set at high, so they should be working on it. Maybe there will be a fix soon.

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast