Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans

Angry Re: Hardy freezes

Quote Originally Posted by seijuuroo23 View Post
    I've been using Ubuntu for 1 year now and so far I was satisfied with my Gutsy install on my old Toshiba Satellite A60 laptop.
    So when I bought a new computer last week, the first thing I did was to make a dual boot with of course the latest Ubuntu release, Hardy Heron. And then like everyone of you, I experienced this Hardy freeze stuff, it's really a bother.Random freezes occured VERY often, sometimes after a few second, maximum time was 1h or so... After 3 days searching for the answer, trying this and that, (powernowd, wireless, etc..) I gave up... on Hardy of course!
    What's the point?
    I just upgraded to Intrepid (beta version) which is supposed to come out at the end of this month. And guess what? Everything is solved! My computer has been running for a few hour now, without a single freeze! It even solved other little problems I had with compiz (not relevant here, but still...)

So cheer up guys, The freeze problem has found a solution: it's moving to Intrepid!

In my opinion, if everyone's freezing problem goes away by upgrading to Intrepid, they should just make it a lts instead of Hardy... Guess the developers won't do that but hey, that's just me talking... I'm definitely not going to upgrade when the post Intrepid version comes out!!
    I'm just writing this because I wish someone had told me this yesterday when I was seriously thinking about ... putting up with Vista for a while and give up temporarily on my Ubuntu experience.
    Hope this helps some people out there. Don't forget Intrepid is not in its final version yet, so be careful if you decide to upgrade!

I'll be coming back at you in a few days to confirm if the freezes are definitely gone or not.

btw, my laptop:

Compaq Presario CQ50 105ef (cheap one!)
    AMD Sempron SI40
    Geforce 8200
    2GB Ram
    I was ready to agree with you that Intrepid itself would solve this freezing issue until Today..

Upgraded from hardy to intrepid (alpha 4 i think) a few weeks ago solved the freezing's for me on behalf of the graphics (ati-drivers is not currently compatible with Xorg 7.4).

Yesterday (2008-10-07) i updated my system through the Update manager and today when i started my computer the freezes were back.

Same as before:
    When evolution finished downloaded mail = Total system freeze
    Pressing TAB = Total system freeze
    Pressing CAPS LOCK= Total system freeze
    Repeatingly pressing BACKSPACE = Total system freeze

The nightmare is back!

Beans

Re: Hardy freezes

I guess our freeze problem doesn't come from the same source then. If you do nothing at all, does it still freeze after a period of time? Because that's what happened with me.
    I have all the latest updates for Intrepid, and the freezes are still not coming back.
    But just in case, I think I'll save an image of my partition in its actual state; you never know...

Beans

I had these kind of problems on my old Averatec laptop. Generally, a lock-up means a conflict betweed two devices for the same IRQ.

The solution in my laptop was to add on the boot line: "acpi=noirq"

Open (as root) the "/boot/grub/menu.lst" file, find the boot line that ends with "splash" and add this option.

I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Beans

I guess life isn't perfect...
    After a few updates, the freezes are still not coming back but... I've been experiencing some graphical bugs when compiz is enabled and I feel it's kind of slower.
    But still no freeze.
    Last edited by seijuuroo23; October 9th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: Hardy freezes

Finally solved my freezing issue!

It had something to do with my pcspeaker.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/224606

Blacklisting the pcspeaker solved it for me:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Blacklist the pcspeaker in the end of the file:

Code:
    #Blacklist PC-Speaker
    blacklist pcspkr
    Press save and reboot.

Beans

Downloaded the latest version of Hardy (8.04), 2.6.24-21, 3 or 4 days ago and all my freezing problems have completely disappeared.

Beans

I had no problems with the original release of Hardy, but the point release (8.0.4.1) gave me freezes exactly as described here, always when I was using the wireless. I've just installed the -rt kernel as recommended earlier, and it's fixed it beautifully. Ubuntu's performance isn't as fast as it used to be, but I'll take that over freezes and hard restarts any day.

Now to try out 8.10...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I had the freezing problem so bad that I needed an entirely new vocabulary! Fixed it by a dist upgrade to Intrepid. No other changes, and no freezes since. Way to pick an LTS kernel...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Skalman5 View Post
    The nightmare is back!
    Welcome to my world. Hardy locked up repeatedly, so does Intrepid.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    Way to pick an LTS kernel...
    Totally. LTS = stable in my book. Hardy is probably the worst ubuntu I have used.

Going to try Lenny to see if I get problems there.

Beans

I'm using an AMD64 setup with Hardy. I had freezing problems earlier but uninstalled Compiz and they went away. However, when the kernel upgraded to 2.6.24.14-21 a few days ago and the xorg driver updated with it, they suddenly reappeared. I'm primarily seeing the problem when playing videos in fullscreen with Kaffeine, which previously was the most stable video option. However, I've also seen it using VLC. Any suggestions (other than just reverting to 2.6.24.13-19)?

Thanks.

Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast