Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Hardy freezes

After months of Hardy lockups I finally fixed my issue. I purchased a new cheap motherboard (Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS $37.00@geeks.com). Used my same CPU,memory and Nvidia card. My old ASUS A8N5X MB would run everything linux dist perfectly, expect Hardy. I could not rip DVDs or gzip files without an lockup.

Now Im ripping and gzipping that the SAME time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ultimately I'm suffering chronically from this issue. It wasn't a very big deal, once or twice occasionally. But the past week, it's becoming unsustainable. Like the original poster said, I'm not comfortable with resetting my laptop every time that happens, because sometimes a simple Ctrl+Alt+Backspace isn't enough. And I work very hard, fortunately it never happened during work but I can only wish it never will. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux and I would be very sad if I had to leave it but I really need to know if something is being done about this.
    Sometimes the monitor just goes blank, sometimes it becomes gradually blank, sometimes it just freezes with what I was doing on it(sometimes I'm able to control the mouse and do the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace but sometimes I can't control the mouse and that's when I need to reset the system). Anyway, if this are not symptoms of the same issue please let me know.
    Last edited by Glucklich; September 25th, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal Governments..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I have a tower (HP Media Centre m1070n) and experienced intermittent lockups with Hardy about 3-4 times per week. I was also unable to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete etc.

Though I use ethernet for my connection, I discovered that the tower also had a wireless card. I changed wlan0 to "down" and now the machine runs for weeks on end with no issues.

Just one line in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down

Beans

Just was about to fall in love with Ubuntu and then the FREEZE occured.
    Hate these freezes...occur at the most important times...nothing works...no keyboard...no mouse...nothing.

last thing that i will try is to disable the wireless as suggested above...

otherwise am going back to XP.

Beans

I am not sure if my problem is the same as what people are talking about, I just recently installed hardy on my old dell, its about 8 years old now, but whenever I try and hit the log out/reset/shut down button up in the top right corner hardy locks up. I can still move the mouse around but nothing else works. This problem only happens when I hit that button, I then have to do a hard reset. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure why but removing powernowd seems to have fixed my freezing problems. I've been going over two days now without a reboot and ordinarily that would never happen. I'm using an nvidia 7950GT graphics card with the 173 drivers installed via synaptic (nvidia-glx-new-envy).

Quote Originally Posted by rmccabe3701 View Post
    I installed hardy two days ago the freeze issue is unbearable. My machine is a
    HP dc7700 2Gb RAM and an nvidia 5200 GeForce FX video card.

I read on another thread that doing
    Code:
     sudo apt-get remove powernowd
    would help. It did not. I tried installing the nvidia driver directly from the nVidia website (not using the restricted driver manager) and this seemed to make things worse, i.e. the system would ALWAYS freeze up within 30-60 seconds of a boot. So, I rolled back to the generic video driver and no more freezes -- however, this only supports a single monitor.

So, the problem for me seems to be the incompatibility of Hardy with the nVidia driver (it worked in Gutsy).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

I have the same problem. I've manage to switch in to the terminal right before the PC crashed.

here's what it printed out:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cent View Post
    I have the same problem. I've manage to switch in to the terminal right before the PC crashed.

here's what it printed out:

Have you filed a bug report at launchpad?
    ox is grateful http://www.singingfalls.com linux user #199890
    12.04 - 2 PCs and 1 Laptop - System 76 bonp5

Beans

I've been using Ubuntu for 1 year now and so far I was satisfied with my Gutsy install on my old Toshiba Satellite A60 laptop.
    So when I bought a new computer last week, the first thing I did was to make a dual boot with of course the latest Ubuntu release, Hardy Heron. And then like everyone of you, I experienced this Hardy freeze stuff, it's really a bother.Random freezes occured VERY often, sometimes after a few second, maximum time was 1h or so... After 3 days searching for the answer, trying this and that, (powernowd, wireless, etc..) I gave up... on Hardy of course!
    What's the point?
    I just upgraded to Intrepid (beta version) which is supposed to come out at the end of this month. And guess what? Everything is solved! My computer has been running for a few hour now, without a single freeze! It even solved other little problems I had with compiz (not relevant here, but still...)

So cheer up guys, The freeze problem has found a solution: it's moving to Intrepid!

In my opinion, if everyone's freezing problem goes away by upgrading to Intrepid, they should just make it a lts instead of Hardy... Guess the developers won't do that but hey, that's just me talking... I'm definitely not going to upgrade when the post Intrepid version comes out!!
    I'm just writing this because I wish someone had told me this yesterday when I was seriously thinking about ... putting up with Vista for a while and give up temporarily on my Ubuntu experience.
    Hope this helps some people out there. Don't forget Intrepid is not in its final version yet, so be careful if you decide to upgrade!

I'll be coming back at you in a few days to confirm if the freezes are definitely gone or not.

btw, my laptop:

Compaq Presario CQ50 105ef (cheap one!)
    AMD Sempron SI40
    Geforce 8200
    2GB Ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the up beat report seijuuroo . That is good news. Keep us posted will you?
    ox is grateful http://www.singingfalls.com linux user #199890
    12.04 - 2 PCs and 1 Laptop - System 76 bonp5

Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast