Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Hardy freezes

Yes, it is a serious problem, but it's not a universal problem.

I have two machines on 32-bit Hardy. One is an Intel D975XBX2 and the other a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R, both with E6600 CPUs and 4Gb of RAM. Neither has the slightest problem and both have been up continuiously since the -16 kernel entered repository.

So, I don't know what is going on, but whatever it is does not affect everyone.
    regards

Beans

Yes I've seen that as well. My desktop (Athlon X2, socket 939, VIA chipset) is effected, but my laptop (Inspiron 8600, Intel chipset, Pentium M) is completely stable under extensive load of every type I can throw at it. There hasn't been (to my knowledge) any commonality noted between effected systems. It's a real head scratcher.

Beans

rbmorse: Are you using a Nvidia card?

Beans

I think I finally resolved the freeze issue for the nVidia driver
    The following site says to remove the nvidia_new and nvidia_legacy:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112321

I did this and re-installed the nvidia driver from their site. I have been booted up for about an hour now with the nvidia driver and no freezes

(I have been loading my computer trying to get at freeze and nothing)

Beans

I double-checked Jim March's post here on installing the RT kernel and I realized I hadn't changed my grub menu. I add a delay to the menu, make sure I'm booting the RT kernel, but oddly enough, /proc/version_signiture contains "Ubuntu 2.6.24-4.6-generic".
    I'd expect to see an "rt" rather than "generic". Can someone who has the RT kernel check?

Beans

I am kinda relieved that this is more of a widespread problem than a personal one. It fit's in perfectly with what I have been experiencing. I use a Cnet CWP-854 wireless card and in my case everything locks up after a few minutes of browsing the internet.

I tried with FF3B5, FF2, and Epiphany, but downloading with the package manager/add-remove/other non-browser interfaces cause no issues. It did this on a fresh install of hardy with javascript and java disabled to make it as simple as possible.

I'm stuck with windows XP until this gets fixed

Beans

My problem may be apic. I started the livecd with the "noapic" option and it didn't crash in the 10 or 15 minutes it was up (a new record for Hardy!). I'll try the hard drive install later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Joe View Post
    ...it didn't crash in the 10 or 15 minutes it was up (a new record for Hardy!)
    yeah, my system hangs within 10 mins of being booted.what i want to know is how can a bug this serious slip through.....especially on a stable LTS release?

Beans

There are references on the bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/204996) to potential SATA I/O issues being the root cause. My affected system is running on a SATA HDD, and my laptop, which is not affected, is running an IDE HDD. Any who's having this trouble NOT running a SATA HDD or optical drive?

Beans
    Quote Originally Posted by dcollamore View Post
    There are references on the bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/204996) to potential SATA I/O issues being the root cause. My affected system is running on a SATA HDD, and my laptop, which is not affected, is running an IDE HDD. Any who's having this trouble NOT running a SATA HDD or optical drive?
    Yes, I am using SCSI. However I can safely do anything that doesn't involve a browser, like repartitioning hard drives and downloading packages.

Edit: I'm going to try running a windows browser in wine if the connection works. Dunno how many times I can hard reboot with damaging stuff though.
    Last edited by Seks; April 27th, 2008 at 08:32 PM.

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast