Thread: Did I just burn my 100$ Dual Layer DVD recorder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Did I just burn my 100$ Dual Layer DVD recorder?

I have a $100 SATA DVD Dual Layer recorder.

I have two SATA hard drives and the DVD recorder, and I also have 3 STA power cords. However, I have only 2 information cords. Since I have Linux (I don't know if there is a way to do this on Windows), every time I need the DVD recorder or the other hard drive, I just disconnect the information plug from one and connect it to another without shutting off my computer. This has always worked.

However, today I accidentally disconnected the DVD's power cord while changing wired. No problem, I just reconnected both wired (power and information) with the computer on. Pretty much of a problem: the DVD recorder didn't work, and when I shut down my computer I noted that it was extremely hot. Now it does not work (I can't even open the tray during boot sequence, witch I always could even if the information cable was disconnected).

Does this mean I just burned my SATA Dual Layer DVD Recorder? And yes, I tried waiting it to cool up and change power cables.
    Remember to thank me by pressing the star below my post if I was helpful
    The world started on 1970. Anyone claiming to be over 39 is a liar.
    Vote for better prefixes!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Did I just burn my 100$ Dual Layer DVD recorder?

It's usually best to unmount drives before unplugging them (right-click on the drive icon and choose "unmount"), in order to prevent data loss. On Windows, this is called "safely remove hardware".

Some care in plugging things in is always a good idea.

My laptop sometimes runs a little hot: not normally something to worry about unless it gets excessive. (How would I define "excessive"? Probably in a similar way to how I'd define the length of a piece of string.)

As for "frying" your DVD drives, I'd suggest powering everything down, waiting a minute or two, and turning things on again and double checking that everything is working as it should.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Re: Did I just burn my 100$ Dual Layer DVD recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixman View Post
    I have a $100 SATA DVD Dual Layer recorder.

I have two SATA hard drives and the DVD recorder, and I also have 3 STA power cords. However, I have only 2 information cords. Since I have Linux (I don't know if there is a way to do this on Windows), every time I need the DVD recorder or the other hard drive, I just disconnect the information plug from one and connect it to another without shutting off my computer. This has always worked.

However, today I accidentally disconnected the DVD's power cord while changing wired. No problem, I just reconnected both wired (power and information) with the computer on. Pretty much of a problem: the DVD recorder didn't work, and when I shut down my computer I noted that it was extremely hot. Now it does not work (I can't even open the tray during boot sequence, witch I always could even if the information cable was disconnected).

Does this mean I just burned my SATA Dual Layer DVD Recorder? And yes, I tried waiting it to cool up and change power cables.
    i'm suprised you didn't have problems sooner, it's never ever a good idea to mess with the internals of a powered computer.
    yes, you could have shorted the dvd or fried the connecter, your lucky the board still works.