Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    56

    No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Hi there,

    After a smooth upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04, I don't have sound anymore.

    Alsa is still installed and the snd-hda-intel is detected, but impossible to have sound.

    I have rebuilt & reinstalled alsa drivers, but still not working ... I have tried passing option
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=imac24
    in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, but this does not help

    Is there a way to find where the error is? There is an entry in /proc/asound for a Realtek ALC885 card ...

    Alain

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Beans
    7,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Please indicate what version iMac you have when posting.

    Please check the levels in alsamixer.

    Can you boot from the Hardy Live CD to see if sound is broken there too?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    56

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Don't understand ... this morning it's working fine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bern, Switzerland
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    No sound here as well after upgrading. Upgraded MacBook (Santa Rosa) from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04. Solutions?
    Last edited by fakt00r; April 25th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Beans
    37
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Open shell and type only this line:

    Code:
    alsamixer
    Navigate with right-left arrow between columns and rise all up to maximum with up arrow. After that just exit alsamixer and it should work. That's like most common problem with sound after upgrade. If it isn't that, let us know.
    Macbook owner. Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron & Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger user.
    Life is a big char, so just sit & enjoy.
    #include <brain.h>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bern, Switzerland
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by guj4_n3b3sk4 View Post
    Open shell and type only this line:

    Code:
    alsamixer
    Navigate with right-left arrow between columns and rise all up to maximum with up arrow. After that just exit alsamixer and it should work. That's like most common problem with sound after upgrade. If it isn't that, let us know.
    It's working again. Thx!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    10

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by fakt00r View Post
    No sound here as well after upgrading. Upgraded MacBook (Santa Rosa) from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04. Solutions?
    hi have the same problem someone can help us? when i use this command
    Code:
    rmmod snd_hda_intel
    he says:
    ERROR: Module snd_hda_intel is in use

    why?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Beans
    37
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiyadd View Post
    hi have the same problem someone can help us? when i use this command
    Code:
    rmmod snd_hda_intel
    he says:
    ERROR: Module snd_hda_intel is in use

    why?
    How about trying what I've suggested few posts above? Typing:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and incresing volume to maximum?

    Try that.

    PS: Why are you turning off that module, anyway?
    Macbook owner. Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron & Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger user.
    Life is a big char, so just sit & enjoy.
    #include <brain.h>

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    10

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by guj4_n3b3sk4 View Post
    How about trying what I've suggested few posts above? Typing:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and incresing volume to maximum?

    Try that.

    PS: Why are you turning off that module, anyway?
    i was following the guisty gibbon guide to make the sound work! i was reloading the module after making changes.
    i don't know why but now the sound work! thank for the help!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Beans
    32
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: No sound after upgrade to 8.04

    I did that with alsamixer and it says, on the far right, above speaker, 00. I can't get any audio output through the speakers, though the major issue was the headphone jack, which now has audio. I'd say it's roughly 67% of my sound issue. Heh. Thanks. Any help on the speakers would be appreciated.
    Blawrgiddy blawrgiddy blawr, Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •