Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help us migrate the stickies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Help us migrate the stickies

This is a call for volunteers.

All of our old sticky threads are filled with useful information that we want to have readily available and easily visible. However, they are still in their original locations in the subforums that are now in the Archives.

We have a team of staff working on updating and posting new stickies in the proper, new locations. However, we all have stuff going on in real life, and there are a lot of stickies.

If anyone wants to help, please find an old sticky in one of those archive areas, make a similar post in the proper new forum section, and then use the "report" button to let the staff know (quote me if you think it will help) and we will try to get it stuck quickly.

I think if we get 3 or 4 people working on this (or more) we can get this done in a few hours or less. Interested? Just jump on in and do it! I'll go let all the staff know what is going on.

If you update a thread, when you report the post, include a link to the original post in the message body as well as the words "sticky update ready" in the report title.

Thanks!!!
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

forestpixie Guest

Re: Help us migrate the stickies

This thread used to be a sticky in the Absolute Beginners Forum - can it be made so again?

It's a bit on the big side to be redoing again

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    This thread used to be a sticky in the Absolute Beginners Forum - can it be made so again?

It's a bit on the big side to be redoing again

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020
    Copy and paste...that's how they are all moving. Hopefully someone will get to this one, if you don't do it first.

forestpixie Guest

Well if no-one else does it I will - but copy and paste doesn't work for the [code] and [quote] parts of the thread - and there are rather a lot of them - although they are quite easy to find as they all say Code: or Quote:

Also starcraftman obviously won't be able to edit his/her "own" thread because it'll be mine now.

While I'm sure that there are reasons that you don't want to be moving threads about - surely there is an easier way than this.

Quite happy to do it if there's no easier method and I guess it's easier than all the work that has gone into the forum over the last week or so

I had a look at starcraftman's profile and there's been no movement since January so perhaps he doesn't know it's all been moved about.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    Also starcraftman obviously won't be able to edit his/her "own" thread because it'll be mine now.

I had a look at starcraftman's profile and there's been no movement since January so perhaps he doesn't know it's all been moved about.
    Want to be the new maintainer? Just put a link to his original thread at the beginning of the new one. As you said, he hasn't been around, so I think this is reasonable. If he comes back sometime relatively soon and is upset, he can rewrite it and we will stick his new one.

The reason we are starting all new threads for the stickies is so that they can have keywords attached to them, so that they will be found more easily in the future with searches, etc. It's a bit of a pain now, but in the long term we will be glad we did it.

forestpixie Guest

Want to be the new maintainer?
    Yea right - no not really

If it hasn't been looked at by the weekend I'll have a pot of coffee and a long playlist and do it - I've not looked at it myself for a while now as I grow a bit more proficient, but I do think it would help people.

I've just been having a bit of a closer look and there are a few things that are a bit out of date now - references to feisty could be updated I guess and at first glance I think the virtualbox stuff is out of date too - so it probably won't be a simple copy and paste job - (or even a copy and paste and then go looking for code and quotes job). Also some of the pic's reference feisty so I'll change those over (unless someone else has beaten me to it.

Still at the least I'll still be referencing the old thread in my sig still.

I think I will at least pm him so he's aware even if it doesn't get read, cos it's only polite.

Thanks anyway - job for the weekend unless anyone else wants it then.

Beans
    Distro

Sounds like a plan. I just read through it a bit. It definitely would require some updating if it were to be migrated. It would be well worth it if someone were to volunteer to do it, but I know it's a lot of work.

Sometimes great stuff just finishes its run.

Beans

Do you want every post copied to a new thread?

Beans
    Distro

For that particular thread that he just linked, the first several posts are all a part of the overall information set. So, yeah, for that thread.

For other stickies, just the first post is enough. I think most of them have been done, often by the original poster.

Beans

Thanks, I meant in general. I'll go hunting for some to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast