Thread: Getting Busybox when trying to install

Beans

Getting Busybox when trying to install

I'm trying to boot the Hardy live cd to install, but whenever I try, it shows the loading bar and then when it should be loaded it shows busybox. I thought it may have been my gfx card so i switched to the onboard which didn't help and I also disconnected my hd to see if it would just boot. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Getting Busybox when trying to install

You just burned the CD, have you "checked the CD for defects"... it's built into the CD. You may find an error there, which means it's a misburn. It would also be good to give us your system information and if you have run linux on this computer before.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

Re: Getting Busybox when trying to install

see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765195 for my solution.

change "sata mode" in bios from "ahci" to "raid"

Beans

no defects and its just a compaq so i cant do that in bios its never ran linux before up until an hour or two ago i just installed Wubi. radeon x800 GTO 2 gigs of ram sata hard drive amd 3500+... any ideas? Thanks

Beans

bump, PLZ HaLP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 54lzy View Post
    I'm trying to boot the Hardy live cd to install, but whenever I try, it shows the loading bar and then when it should be loaded it shows busybox. I thought it may have been my gfx card so i switched to the onboard which didn't help and I also disconnected my hd to see if it would just boot. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance!
    I'm seeing the same issue with both x32 and x64 8.04 desktop cd's. I verified my x64 cd (on another system) and it matches the md5 from kernel.org where I downloaded it. When either cd boots, I see the boot choices for 1 or 2 seconds and then a language dialog fills the screen and I see a 30sec timer count down to the left. I choose English, hit enter and then down arrow to install option and enter to launch. I get the knight rider progress bar and Ubuntu logo for a few seconds and then drop into a busybox shell (that shows initramfs prompt). I tried the verify cd option and get the same issue. I haven't played with bios settings, but this is an older amd 939 system that works fine with centos, knoppix, sme server, etc. If hardware info is needed, I can send lspci output from knoppix or anything else useful.

Thanks,
    Dale

FYI - I noticed this bug as #222176 on bugs.launpad.net
    Last edited by dalesyk; April 26th, 2008 at 04:22 AM. Reason: found bug reference

Beans

Hi, folks,

I've had this busybox problem with all the downloads for the last 6 months. Somewhere I read that the solution is to press F6 for more options before accepting the offer to "try Ubuntu on your machine". Type in as a new option < irqpoll > and proceed with the "try" offer. I have no idea what this means or does, but it has been the only way I can boot any new downloads. (Without the < >, of course.)

Better luck with this thought!

CRS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by 54lzy View Post
    I'm trying to boot the Hardy live cd to install, but whenever I try, it shows the loading bar and then when it should be loaded it shows busybox.
    If you have a floppy drive in the computer, put a blank floppy disk in it then try the install again. You won't have to do anything with the disk, just leave it in. I had this same error and a google search turned up someone with the floppy suggestion. If yours is the same problem it seems that something in the install really wants to find a floppy, maybe a throwback to the floppy boot disks everyone used to make as part of an new install, I don't' know, but this worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Re: Getting Busybox when trying to install

Personally, at this point, I would search for and file a bug with ubuntu. No need for you to really look for a work around after this much effort. The only think I could see you do that you haven't is update your bios. Which I would do, and if that doesn't help, file the bug.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy