Thread: [SOLVED] New kernel doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question [SOLVED] New kernel doesn't work

To start things off, I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.1, updated recently, and this is the second time I've tried to install a new kernel, both with the same problems. I'm trying to install kernel 2.6.26.2 from http://www.kernel.org/. Previously I've tried to install the 2.6.25.7 one. After I log in at the log-in screen, it brings up my splash screen, then afterward, it goes to a black screen, goes to white, then it crashes to black, and the hard drive parks. Although, if I log in using fail-safe gnome, I can get in, although a couple things do not work, like wireless, but I have a fix for that. Something that catches my eye every time I try to get into the new kernel is that it shows text right before the Usplash comes up, and I see that it says "cannot get high resolution on Cpu 0" and it says the same about Cpu 1. (I have a AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU)
    Do not tell me to reinstall, because I'll just get the same end result, it takes too long, and I've already tried that on both kernels. Also, I have uninstalled both properly afterward. I did not do the installation wrong because otherwise it would not load, if you catch my drift.

FYI - I am using a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 video card. It is on a Asus F3-KA laptop.

*Please do not mind if I don't post back quick, I have to do other things also.
    Last edited by L337_K3y5; August 21st, 2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Fixed the video mode error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: New kernel doesn't work

For some reason my computer doesn't like new kernels...It only like the ones that came on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

You probably should stick with the kernels in Ubuntu's repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    You probably should stick with the kernels in Ubuntu's repositories.
    Well, the thing is, the newest in the repos. is 2.6.24-19-Generic...I already have that installed. What I need is the newest, because I have problems with my sound coming out both speakers and headphones, and I need to either install a new kernel or new Alsa sound driver...The only way to install a new Alsa sound driver is to disable sound in the kernel building...and when you install the kernel you install the Alsa afterwards. It's easier for me just to install a newer kernel, but none of them work for my computer...I'm going insane here. The sound problem is getting on my nerves.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Actually the newest one is 2.6.24-21.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Actually the newest one is 2.6.24-21.
    Are you talking about in Synaptic? All I'm seeing is 2.6.24-19-Generic....Where is the kernel you're speaking of? If its in the repo, what search term do I use, I've already searched for the kernel using the kernel number.
    Last edited by L337_K3y5; August 21st, 2008 at 11:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Do you have these lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://mirrors.cs.wmich.edu/ubuntu/ hardy-proposed restricted main multiverse universe
    deb-src http://mirrors.cs.wmich.edu/ubuntu/ hardy-proposed restricted main multiverse universe

?