Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beatrIX and Ubuntu co-operation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: beatrIX and Ubuntu co-operation

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    While you're at that, can you see if XFCE 4.2 backports reallly run faster than GNOME on old systems?
    haven't tried beatrIX yet too be honest. The stuff I read on their website and the articles about it just looked promising. It uses gnome 2.8 by default. I don't know whether they support XFCE.

I'm gonna play with beatrIX on some old pc when I have the time or need.

Beans

BeatrIX wasn't that great. Mabye had I been running an older PC. But it didn't even come with The GIMP...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    BeatrIX wasn't that great. Mabye had I been running an older PC. But it didn't even come with The GIMP...
    yeah. in the end i realized that it wasnt that much faster than ubuntu, perhaps it was a little faster. i like the more options that ubuntu has, in the end i am going to stick with ubuntu.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    yeah. in the end i realized that it wasnt that much faster than ubuntu, perhaps it was a little faster. i like the more options that ubuntu has, in the end i am going to stick with ubuntu.
    Because I've got newer pc's I don't wanna run beatrIX. But it's nice to have a version of Ubuntu specifically designed for running on older hardware.

Beans

Greetings,

BeatrIX is a very specific distribution and it purposefully has nothing but the basics. The Gimp, Abiword, Screem, Totem, Xine, Courier and many programs (Not all, by any means.) can be added thrugh apt-get. Which is what our users are doing: Using BeatrIX as a base and then expanding it the way they want -- making it into a DVD player, a server, whatever.

We're certainly not trying to compete with anyone because my design goal did not start with Linux -- that was secondary. My design goal was to find a desktop with programs that almost anyone who had used a computer in the past decade could figure out with little instruction. Then came Linux. Then came Ubuntu.

We do load a bit faster on just about any machine, but that's because we've really stripped the kernel of any library not having to do with the desktop, i.e., Gnome. We have zero-library support for KDE or any other desktop you might consider and our users have reported that trying to changes WMs breaks the distro.

BTW, on this Opteron-64, my distro is, yes, Ubuntu. I love it. It's the best, period, for a full distro. Kudos, guys. We were using Debian until we started reading about your goals.

Thanks and cheers,

oskarku

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    I just wanted to say that it was Beatrix that first got me into Ubuntu. I was looking for a distro to run on an old laptop, however I liked it that much I run in on my desktop (Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB DDR RAM) and it flew, it was by far the fastest distro I have ever used to date. Firefox opened almost instantly and OOo opened in around 2-3 seconds! I'm now using Ubuntu Hoary on my desktop however as there were many things I would have liked in Beatrix, for example the hotplug system didn't seem to work and I had no joy with ndiswrapper. As for the software selection that was never a problem as apt-get solved that.

Beatrix is a great distro that I would certainly consider using again on my main desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    While you're at that, can you see if XFCE 4.2 backports reallly run faster than GNOME on old systems?
    I can answer that. XFCE 4.2 runs faster on systems with less that 256mb RAM. 256 or more and Gnome runs just as fast.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

quite honestly, we were talking about beatrix on #ubuntu-forums just yesterday, and there has been some disgust with the developers, that noone really knows anything except "you have to reinstall".

some people can't even get it booted, and apparently it's a pretty bad distro.

that's just what i've heard though.

I'm perfectly happy with my Ubuntu/gentoo install.
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12