Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardy is slow because servers are full?

Beans

Re: Hardy is slow because servers are full?

The slow servers wouldn't have anything to do with
    Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libx/libx11/libx11-xcb1_1.1.3-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
      Could not connect to ca.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (129.97.134.71), connection timed out
    when trying to reinstall compiz (or do almost anything), would it?

Edit: I was in Synaptic, but it happens in terminal and in update manager, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is all pretty funny. I decided last week, without even knowing that an LTS was around the corner, that I would start migrating to Linux from Vista. I decided on Ubuntu because word on the net had been favorable and I wouldn't know the difference right now. So last weekend I picked up the release candidate and installed it on Monday.

Kinda glad I didn't wait. I used the torrent download of the RC and it downloaded in about an hour and have had no issues installing software this week to get things going. I'm just doing this as a test install to see how I like it and so far there are only a couple things keeping me from migrating completely.

I'm planning on doing a fresh Vista and Ubuntu install in a couple weeks when the insanity of the end of semester and of the 8,04 release cools off.

I have officially joined the bandwagon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HangukMiguk View Post
    Meh, unless I figure out how to change my mirror for the archive, I'll be waiting a few days to update i guess.
    Go to System>Administration>Software Sources, and on the first tab, at the bottom of the list of checkboxes, it says "Download from:" with a dropdown menu beside it. You can pick "other" and it'll take you to a big list of servers organized by country.

Beans

Umm, this is bad. I did a clean install of 7.1 because i like them for my web servers. Now I can not get the thing any updated packages. I got apache, but anything else coming from ubuntu is like not happening. No updates from them today.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cauda_Draconis View Post
    Go to System>Administration>Software Sources, and on the first tab, at the bottom of the list of checkboxes, it says "Download from:" with a dropdown menu beside it. You can pick "other" and it'll take you to a big list of servers organized by country.
    Killer (Hopefully). Thanks.

Beans

Im getting it along now... Got my drivers installed and getting it going good now. Got compiz all configured and im not running at 800 x 600 res now Now just getting things the way i want it.

Beans

Alright, I finally got it going and it is actually cruising along pretty well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by keithcleaver View Post
    EDIT: To answer my own question, I'm using an Australian server now, and things are moving along at about three times speed of the European servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onderstekop View Post
    Works like a charm!

Edit: sort of.
    UPDATE: Everything went OK for me until about halfway through when the speed cut in half! The "55 Minute" download turned into a near 2 and a half hour slugathon, but hey, at least I finally have it.

Beans

I used the method above to change my source to US MIT. I still had problems with the GUI updater so I ran "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get upgrade" from a shell and its moving along nicely. About 700k/sec.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123