Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

sorry admins accidentally posted twice please delete
    Last edited by amosbr; April 25th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

same motherbaord, same problem...

BUT
    it did run once on mine, i guess the second time i tried, but then i recalled i had to backup some stuff prom my previous 64 bit install (moving to 32 bit now).. and when i backed up the data and tried again...

BAM!!
    it just won't work... tried 2 CDs burnt at 16x and both lead to the same screen...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amosbr View Post
    I have the same problem. I try to install in any of the different modes and at first i get the ubuntu loading screen for about 2 minutes and then the busybox thingy. The problem i have is i can't seem to find that SATA option in my CMOS. Also, how do I get to "alternate boot options" in order to try the pci=nomsi method?
    Thanks.
    You press F6 in the menu in order to edit. Just write after the --.

Beans
    Hidden!

1. changing BIOS from IDE to RAID accomplished Nothing -- still reach initramfs screen and cannot install ubuntu 8.04

2. from F6 adding "pci=nomsi" did nothing -- still reach initramfs screen and cannot install ubuntu 8.04

Would installing 7.10 and then updating to 8.04 seem a viable solution. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wconstantine View Post
    You press F6 in the menu in order to edit. Just write after the --.
    sorry for noobness, but what menu are you referring to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by amosbr View Post
    sorry for noobness, but what menu are you referring to?
    the menu you are shown when you boot from the cd...

use your eyes, it's written on the bottom of that screen..

PS : so what's the conclusion? does using a msi p965 neo imply that i'm not going to run hardy on my pc??

Beans

same problem here mates.. i have an asus p5w dh deluxe mobo, two sata hd drives and one ide drive, when i try to boot hardy i get the Busybox message. right now i'm at work but i will give the -- pci-msi parameter a try.. whats more frustrating is the fact that 7.10 starts up normally and i can install it flawlessly.
    Last edited by avenger3000; April 25th, 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: more details

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

okay... everyone on a msi p965 neo IDE cd drive and SATA hard drive... I figured out a solution to work the way around this issue and i shalt give it to you if you all bow down to me... hehe now, jokes apart...

your harddisk most probably is connected to ich8 sata port, plug it into the jmicron sata port (the only one which stands out) and launch the setup, works flawlessly for me... other motherboards with jmicron bios should also
    work similarly, although i'm just guessing here...

ENJOY...

PS : drop in an appreciation e-mail to dishayu@gmail.com if this works for you.. i almost never visit the forums..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dishayu View Post
    okay... everyone on a msi p965 neo IDE cd drive and SATA hard drive... I figured out a solution to work the way around this issue and i shalt give it to you if you all bow down to me... hehe now, jokes apart...

your harddisk most probably is connected to ich8 sata port, plug it into the jmicron sata port (the only one which stands out) and launch the setup, works flawlessly for me... other motherboards with jmicron bios should also
    work similarly, although i'm just guessing here...

ENJOY...

PS : drop in an appreciation e-mail to dishayu@gmail.com if this works for you.. i almost never visit the forums..
    My SATA HDD is connected to that very port. Although I have several harddrives.. Could that be the problem?

By the "one that stands out", do you mean sata 1? Here's an image of the mobo sata ports.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aliasbind View Post
    changing from AHCI/IDE to SATA doesn't solve the problem. when the screen with the ubuntu logo and orange bar moving left-right appears, the OS seems to search "desperately" for a disk in the floppy and if i put one in it, it gives an error and then continues loading perfectly.

i have 2 HDs (1x SATA, 1x IDE). ubuntu can't detect the SATA HD, but, amazingly, it detects the IDE as SATA. this is getting creepy!
    Aliasbind's hint was right: I noticed the system trying to get a floppy. I inserted one, then ubuntu read the floppy for some time and finally continued to boot from CD. No error message or anything, just reading the floppy. While I'm writing this posting I still use ubuntu 8.04 in Live-CD mode.

And I have a ASUS P5B-Deluxe mainboard with this f****g JMicron controller stuck on it! This one gave me trouble eversince I bought the board some 18 months ago using Windows or different Linux distributions. Now it's definitly time to buy some SATA DVD-Writer and disable this controller. Perhaps it interferes here as well as some other users mention it as part of their system, too.

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast