Thread: Odd loss of memory issue

Beans

Odd loss of memory issue

Hi,
    New to Ubuntu/ Linux and impressed thus far
    However I have an issue in that the BIOS on my laptop (Fujitsu Amilo-D) reports 640MB of RAM (I upgraded it some time ago). But the laptop seemed to be running Ubuntu nearly as slowly as windows so I thought I'd see why.
    System monitor states I have 218.2MB of memory, whereas sudo lshw states one 256MB made of two blocks of 128MB with a capacity of 384MB
    Any help?

Beans

Re: Odd loss of memory issue

I know it's right in the bios so this seems useless, but just to make sure I would pull the memory and plug it back in see if anything changes
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Use the Live CD, on the list of what to do there is a check memory test (memtest86.) For more info, check the memtest86 site.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bomberman View Post
    Hi,
    New to Ubuntu/ Linux and impressed thus far
    However I have an issue in that the BIOS on my laptop (Fujitsu Amilo-D) reports 640MB of RAM (I upgraded it some time ago). But the laptop seemed to be running Ubuntu nearly as slowly as windows so I thought I'd see why.
    System monitor states I have 218.2MB of memory, whereas sudo lshw states one 256MB made of two blocks of 128MB with a capacity of 384MB
    Any help?
    Open a terminal, (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and post the output of the command
    Code:
    free -m
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    Open a terminal, (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and post the output of the command
    Code:
    free -m
    free -m says;

bomberman@Bomberlap:~$ free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 218 214 3 0 1 62
    -/+ buffers/cache: 150 68
    Swap: 454 118 336

Will check the seating of the RAM after the quite a few hours the upgrade is going to take

The LiveCD ran abysmally (I assume due to this very issue), but I'll look at the memtest site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Memtest is the way to go - I used it to successfully identify a bad stick of ram. Another anomaly I encountered recently was with the BIOS not recognizing the ram properly. One more thing to try would be resetting your CMOS as per the manufacturer's recommended procedure. That did the trick for me.