Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspend doesn't work proppely - 8.04, Darter Ultra (daru2)

Beans

Suspend doesn't work proppely - 8.04, Darter Ultra (daru2)

Hello,

I would like to report that Suspend doesn't work propperly in the Ubuntu 8.04 (stable).

I've installed both versions, 32BIT first, then 64BIT and I have the same results.

The installation procedure on both was to wipe my drive (not upgrading from Gutsy 7.10), then I added System76 Repos and installed the latest driver (2.18), then I started the System76 application. Went to "Install Driver" --> "Install". Then, I rebooted.
    I didn't choose "Restore System" because I already put the repositores manually.

When I suspend the system, all is good, the power button and indicator led blink. I tried waking the system by pressing P1, P2 buttons, the WIFI/BT button, move the mouse, press all keys on the keyboard, the cdrom eject button - nothing worked.

When I press the power button, the system tries to resume, it looks OK for a second, but then while the screen is still blank, the system Shuts Down (un-cleanly I might add) -- As I said before, this happens on 32BIT and 64BIT of Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (Stable).

Is there something to do with this ?
    Hibernation works OK.

Thanks in advance,
    Idan Mashaal

Beans

Re: Suspend doesn't work proppely - 8.04, Darter Ultra (daru2)

UPDATE:
    I've upgraded System76 driver to 2.20 and did a full Restore and reboot - that didn't help.
    Instead it installed GnuCash, so I started reading the source to see what it does, and something is weird.
    I traced all the things that are supposed to be going on in Ubuntu 8.04 with 'daru2' and for some reason, I don't see any ACPI fixes (although the batter works after installing the driver. (driverscontrol.py line 78 sound.alsa4() )

I also found out that it adds sources, installs GnuCash (and docs), overwrites the driver and GSynaptics.
    About GSynaptics, it doesn't fix the SHMConfig "true" in xorg.conf (so why install it?) -- lines 80-82 in base_system.py

In adition to all that, I can't find a thing about ACPI with the daru2...

Is the driver really ready for Ubuntu 8.04 ?

Thanks,
    Idan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I suspect the driver will get this fixed fairly soon, but in the mean time, can you show us your /etc/default/acip-support file?

Beans

Sure, the files is attached.

I just noticed that the battery monitor got screwed also (I even rebooted)

Idan.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I still have the same battery indicator problem (wacky readings) with 8.04 64-bit. There's a bug open on launchpad, just search for PR200 (same OEM laptop as Daru2/MSI-1221). Needless to say, suspend doesn't work on mine either...same problem as you. The only other issue that I've confirmed is with Cheese and the webcam. Cheese now functions very poorly (i.e. freezing, video in window lags when dragging, etc.) Please let us know if you're having the same problems with that as well.

Beans

Hi, just installed Cheese from Ubuntu's repos, and I'm experienceing the same issues as you. Slow FPS, video lagging when dragging.

Taking a picture works.
    Shooting a video, makes the app stall and stop responing when pressing "Stop Recording"

The system-76 driver assumes the stock Ubuntu one is ok, but I guess it needs some tweaking.

I really do hope they will be able to fix/resolve issues with Hardy and Daru2. ( I'm kinda disappointed )

Thanks,
    Idan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Line 10 of your acpi-support file reads:
    Code:
    ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem
    Try setting it to:
    Code:
    ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=standby

Beans

I'll try that and post later on.

Isn't that something the driver should handle (or a custom modification) ?
    I guess it's not specific to my machine only but to all daru2's out there, as I did a clean installation.

Thanks,
    Idan

Beans

Hi AusIV4,

I've made the change, rebooted and afterwards tried to suspend my daru2.
    The system went to suspend mode (power button and the power led blinking) but waking up, from the power button (the only one that got the system to respond) caused the system to wake up but shutdown - uncleanly.

What log holds these events, maybe the answer is there ??

Thanks,
    Idan.

Beans

Hello again,

I've found something quite disturbing...Something I overlooked before.
    The findings I've found are the same with i.e, ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem and ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=standby (I've reverted back to the defaults "mem")

Here goes:

When I try to wake my daru2 (by pressing the power button) it looks alive and after a few seconds shutdown (screen is blank), then I've waited for another 3-4 seconds and the system came back ON (by itself -- the power button and power led were OFF!) all the leds were up and running, fans whistling, HD working, Screen Blank. I've waited something like 30 seconds and there was no response except from the fans working (hard), I tried pressing all the buttons I can find, nothing worked. I pressed the power button, and it ignored me. I pushed and hold the power button for 10 seconds and nothing happend. Then I felt HOT air from my fan (HOT as in the system is doing something, but there was no sign).
    I've finally shut it down by taking the battery out

I had a dual-boot with XP on the system and I never had something like this, I frankly use suspend really often.

I might add that the battery readings are way off... and the battery seems to get lost from the graph. Even when charging, and I know that after 2 hours the battery led should turn off, when Ubuntu 8.04 is running, the battery never gets off, and every charge cycle the Power Manager's graph shows a new cycle (I hope it's not hosing my battery).

Any ideas what can be causing this ??

Thanks,
    Idan.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast