Thread: NTFS directory coloring in terminal

Beans

Question NTFS directory coloring in terminal

I'm annoyed by the default coloring of NTFS directories in Ubuntu. Just watch:

(I believe the NTFS partition may have encryption enabled and the green background color symbolizes that the folder is encrypted?)

The screenshot is taken from a gnome-terminal running on my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop, ssh'ed into my desktop PC which has both a ntfs and a fat32/vfat partition on it. However the same colors appear when sshing in using PuTTY, or using gnome-terminal without sshing directly from the desktop computer.

So I guess it must be the "terminal-server" (if there is such a thing) on the Ubuntu 7.10 x64 desktop PC that defines the coloring scheme.

I want to remove the green background-color from the NTFS directories so it becomes readable. How do I do that?
    Last edited by josteinaj; October 10th, 2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Replaced screenshot since the link was broken. the new one doesn't have a FAT-illustration. Taken in Ubuntu 11.10 Beta2.

Beans

Re: NTFS directory coloring in terminal

Quote Originally Posted by josteinaj View Post
    I'm annoyed by the default coloring of NTFS directories in Ubuntu. Just watch:

(I believe the NTFS partition may have encryption enabled and the green background color symbolizes that the folder is encrypted?)

The screenshot is taken from a gnome-terminal running on my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop, ssh'ed into my desktop PC which has both a ntfs and a fat32/vfat partition on it. However the same colors appear when sshing in using PuTTY, or using gnome-terminal without sshing directly from the desktop computer.

So I guess it must be the "terminal-server" (if there is such a thing) on the Ubuntu 7.10 x64 desktop PC that defines the coloring scheme.

I want to remove the green background-color from the NTFS directories so it becomes readable. How do I do that?
    You need to make changes to the dircolors command in your .bashrc script, but first you need to export the dircolors database to a file like this:
    Code:
    dircolors --print-database > ~/.mydircolors
    then edit the file:
    Code:
    nano ~/.mydircolors
    and change the colors to your preferences. Save the file then make changes to your .bashrc script. So you would:
    Code:
    nano ~/.bashrc
    then locate the following portion:
    Code:
    # enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
    if [ "$TERM" != "dumb" ]; then
        eval "`dircolors -b`"
        alias ls='ls --color=auto'
        #alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'
        #alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'
    fi
    and change the string:
    Code:
    "`dircolors -b`"
    to
    Code:
    "`dircolors ~/.mydircolors`"
    so when you login your bash script will change the defaults to your colors.
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans

It worked. Thanks!

(It seems NTFS doesn't discriminate between "readable" and "executable", but that's another issue.)

Beans

Thanks for that tip. It worked for me as well.

Beans

If you got this to work, can you share your .mydircolors file? I can't seem to get the directory background highlighting turned off.

Thanks.

Beans

I figured it out. Change the line in .mydircolors to this,

STICKY_OTHER_WRITABLE 01;34 # dir that is sticky and other-writable (+t,o+w)
    OTHER_WRITABLE 01;34 # dir that is other-writable (o+w) and not sticky

Problem solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andylinux View Post
    I figured it out. Change the line in .mydircolors to this,

STICKY_OTHER_WRITABLE 01;34 # dir that is sticky and other-writable (+t,o+w)
    OTHER_WRITABLE 01;34 # dir that is other-writable (o+w) and not sticky

Problem solved.
    thanks for that extra detail, that solved it. the details are rather important.

Beans

What does it mean when a directory is listed with a green background?

When I text copied from the terminal window into Gmail I don't get the colors. How do you copy the directory listing with colors?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool tip! Thanx