Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commodore 64 Emulators

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Commodore 64 Emulators

Hello,

I am curious as to whether anyone has compiled/installed and got working a decent Commodore 64 emulator?

I know VICE is targeted for Linux, but just wondering whether other people have used any.

You can find a list of emulators here:
    http://www.c64.cc/Emulators/

As well as a huge C64 repository here:
    http://www.c64.cc/
    http://www.c64.org/
    http://www.c64.com/
    http://www.lemon64.com/

Tons of Commodore 64 games, apps, etc out there.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Commodore 64 Emulators

Vice just works, so I go with that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

there are a few C64 emulators for Linux, but VICE is the best, perhaps even better than CCS64 (an old DOS/Windows emulator). other emulators seem dated and incomplete in comparison. VICE has got a nice GUI, can be easily configured and tweaked to your liking, and emulates C128 just as well.
    oh, and it's in the repos, so no compiling is necessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

my only problem with vice, is that my screen stays black, i cant see a damn thing. although i have not seriously worked on it to see what the problem is. but will do so one of these days. I use to love vice when i had it on windows.
    Our only ignorance is our own intelligence
    Linux Is not Windows | Atheros 5007 Wifi Chipset Hardy (8.04LTS) Install|
    Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065

Beans

another vote for vice. I haven't used it in a couple releases though because it wants the rom files and I have no idea where to paste them.

One thing about vice that bugs me in windows and linux is full screen mode. windows never does it right- either leaves black borders around the full screen picture or part of the emulated picture ends up chopped off. Linux I've never even been able to get full screen mode to work- only a window.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by linuxlizard View Post
    another vote for vice. I haven't used it in a couple releases though because it wants the rom files and I have no idea where to paste them.

One thing about vice that bugs me in windows and linux is full screen mode. windows never does it right- either leaves black borders around the full screen picture or part of the emulated picture ends up chopped off. Linux I've never even been able to get full screen mode to work- only a window.
    that's odd, but it seems that ROMs are included in the Ubuntu package, even though synaptic states otherwise.
    as for the fullscreen mode, it's tricky to get it working well. I recall getting a working fullscreen mode in the past, but I think I've compiled VICE from source then. fullscreen mode in VICE from the repos won't work well on my system as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Grishka View Post
    that's odd, but it seems that ROMs are included in the Ubuntu package, even though synaptic states otherwise.
    as for the fullscreen mode, it's tricky to get it working well. I recall getting a working fullscreen mode in the past, but I think I've compiled VICE from source then. fullscreen mode in VICE from the repos won't work well on my system as well.

Is it possible to expand the box or make it full screen now? It's really far too small to play the games at the moment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMonty View Post
    Is it possible to expand the box or make it full screen now? It's really far too small to play the games at the moment.
    yes, it's quite capable of stretching the view to any resolution, and going fullscreen. just turn on hardware scaling in vic settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by k33bz View Post
    my only problem with vice, is that my screen stays black, i cant see a damn thing. although i have not seriously worked on it to see what the problem is. but will do so one of these days. I use to love vice when i had it on windows.
    I haven't had a problem with it. Not sure why you would have that problem. Driver issues?

Beans

I am sorry to disagree with most of you. VICE works OK but has some annoying bug with the menus for disk drives. Options come on and off simply by having the mouse pointer on them. The best environment for cross-assembling and debugging that I have used so far is Windows+VICE+Relaunch64. With this setup you just type your code, press an "F" key (I think it was F5), and then VICE opens and runs your program automatically. I am very disappointed that nothing on Linux comes close to that. Meanwhile, with Ubuntu I'm still given the old VICE 1.22, while current release is 2.1. On the VICE webpage you can download binaries for so many platforms, even for the Amiga, but no DEB package. I am noy used to configuring and compiling so I have failed to compile the current VICE 2.1 on my Ubuntu.

I have not been developing for the Commodore for years because I have moved to Linux. As sad as it is, it's a fact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast