Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Thank you for the enlightening feedback on page 5, RAOF, we all appreciate this very much!

Reason for this thread:
    Older ATI cards have been blacklisted for Compiz Fusion because of a bug in the driver, but there is an easy workaround for many cards that use the open source ati drivers. Radeon 9500 are the oldest cards to support the restricted "fglrx" drivers, so everything older requires the open source drivers to function properly. A more technical explanation is offered in RAOF's post, linked above.

The appropriate method is as follows.
    Open a terminal and run:
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager
    -> You may also need to install the Compiz settings manager program that you can access from System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effect Settings
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    You can now load Compiz Fusion and/or revert to Metacity (the basic window manager in Gnome) with the appropriate command:
    Code:
    compiz --replace &
    metacity --replace &
    I prefer making launchers in a panel for this, but it is not the only option.
    -A program called "fusion-icon" is available in the repositories (accessed from Applications->System Tools->Compiz Fusion Icon).
    -A simpler, cleaner, and equally effective tool is compiz-switch by Forlong. I suggest using the .deb installer file.

Remember that this is a workaround and may not work for everybody. As RAOF also mentioned, do not be terribly surprised if this doesn't work or is somewhat unstable. If you have further problems, you should consider running a forum search and then posting on one of the main support forums if you still need help.
    For the record, my card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000.

---------------------------------------------------------
    The original method suggested in this thread said to add SKIP_CHECKS="yes" to /usr/bin/compiz - while this works, it is not as solid as the updated method above (see RAOF's post).

To fix this, simply open the launcher with the gksudo gedit code above and place a "#" symbol in front of the SKIP_CHECKS="yes" line that we added, save and close.
    Code:
    #SKIP_CHECKS="yes"
    Alternatively, you can delete the line, though I don't usually suggest deleting from files as a precautionary measure (like if you get overzealous or just confused).

---------------------------------------------------------
    This guide also works on Intrepid Ibex Testing/Development release.
    Last edited by Rocket2DMn; June 24th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

I have the same ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 on my Dell laptop. Now I run as your HowTo and have following output, what is the possible problem? Thanks for your help and HowTo.

Code:
    say2sky@hardy:~$ compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    Found laptop using ati driver. 
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present. 
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present. 
    Checking for non power of two support: present. 
    Checking for Composite extension: present. 
    Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (1024): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present. 
    Checking for FBConfig: present. 
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
    Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>/var/cache/fontconfig</cachedir>
    Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
    Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
    Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>/var/cache/fontconfig</cachedir>
    Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

I'm not sure what those font problems are, but I don't think it is an issue, it seems like it may have created the correct stuff for you. For the rest of the output, I got the same thing, I think this is just normal terminal output.
    You should be able to use CF now. You can setup 4 workspaces by right clicking the workspace switcher applet in the bottom panel and hitting Preferences. 4 workspaces is typical, though it started me with only 2. You can then enable the cube and other desktop effects using compizconfig-settings-manager - note that it will prompt you to disable Desktop Wall if you enabled the Desktop Cube.

Again, I suggest making launchers in your panels to enable/disable compiz so you can avoid having to run these commands in terminal every time you want to change.
    Right click the Panel area and hit Add to Panel, choose Custom Application Launcher and add the compiz/metacity commands from there.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    I'm not sure what those font problems are, but I don't think it is an issue, it seems like it may have created the correct stuff for you. For the rest of the output, I got the same thing, I think this is just normal terminal output.
    You should be able to use CF now. You can setup 4 workspaces by right clicking the workspace switcher applet in the bottom panel and hitting Preferences. 4 workspaces is typical, though it started me with only 2. You can then enable the cube and other desktop effects using compizconfig-settings-manager - note that it will prompt you to disable Desktop Wall if you enabled the Desktop Cube.

Again, I suggest making launchers in your panels to enable/disable compiz so you can avoid having to run these commands in terminal every time you want to change.
    Right click the Panel area and hit Add to Panel, choose Custom Application Launcher and add the compiz/metacity commands from there.
    Thanks a lot for your help and now it works. I have set 4 workspaces and use Ctrl+Alt+arrow key to switch the 3D show. I am wonder if there is a way to show 3D with 6 faces and have other way to control the 3D cube rotating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hmnn Now that ATI got OS drivers I think I will move from nvidia this year when I get my new Desktop on Christmas time
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by say2sky View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help and now it works. I have set 4 workspaces and use Ctrl+Alt+arrow key to switch the 3D show. I am wonder if there is a way to show 3D with 6 faces and have other way to control the 3D cube rotating?
    Using the settings manager you can control keyboard shortcuts for the cube and other functions. I think the cube works for any number of faces, it just isn't a cube at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    hmnn Now that ATI got OS drivers I think I will move from nvidia this year when I get my new Desktop on Christmas time
    ATI has had OS drivers for a long time, that is what older ATI cards have to use. The proprietary fglrx drivers are suggested for the newer ATI cards. Long story short, you will be using proprietary drivers on newer nvidia or ati cards, but they tend to work OK. The OS ati drivers are nothing to be proud of, they just keep those of us with older cards in the game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks a lot. Adding SKIP_CHECKS="yes" to /usr/bin/compiz did the trick. Now the visual effects can be set on normally, that is via Settings menu.

I'm using an old Acer Aspire 2001 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9200.
    Last edited by Uikku; April 25th, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

to Rocket2DMn:

I have another question about 3D desktop on ubuntu. I think you know a lot in 3D desktop field and use same ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 so ask this question which is not very ralated with Compiz Fusion. If you don't want to answer just ignore it.

In the past I also try Beryl on my laptop but it also doesn't work. Now if there are a similar and simple solution just like you provide in this HowTo which can let Beryl run on ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. Thank you very much.

updated:
    haha I googled and found it was a stupid question. Now Beryl already merged with Compiz and is named new name Compiz Fusion. Am I right? Thanks!
    Last edited by say2sky; April 26th, 2008 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by say2sky View Post
    to Rocket2DMn:

I have another question about 3D desktop on ubuntu. I think you know a lot in 3D desktop field and use same ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 so ask this question which is not very ralated with Compiz Fusion. If you don't want to answer just ignore it.

In the past I also try Beryl on my laptop but it also doesn't work. Now if there are a similar and simple solution just like you provide in this HowTo which can let Beryl run on ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. Thank you very much.
    Compiz Fusion replaced Beryl last year, CF is the spawn of Beryl and Compiz, so unless you are using a much older version of Ubuntu, CF is what you are looking for. Back in Feisty (a year ago), I installed Beryl using this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_fei...ryl_ati_radeon
    However, if you are up to date with Ubuntu, you do not need this. Gutsy and Hardy both use Compiz Fusion in place of the outdated Beryl.
    Our cards do not support the proprietary fglrx drivers, so it's important that you get rid of those if you have them. Hardy autodetects our card decently, unlike in past released when we had to reconfigure X.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    Compiz Fusion replaced Beryl last year, CF is the spawn of Beryl and Compiz, so unless you are using a much older version of Ubuntu, CF is what you are looking for. Back in Feisty (a year ago), I installed Beryl using this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_fei...ryl_ati_radeon
    However, if you are up to date with Ubuntu, you do not need this. Gutsy and Hardy both use Compiz Fusion in place of the outdated Beryl.
    Our cards do not support the proprietary fglrx drivers, so it's important that you get rid of those if you have them. Hardy autodetects our card decently, unlike in past released when we had to reconfigure X.
    You are right and now I know the transition background and it work very well on my laptop with no lag.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast