Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Quote Originally Posted by say2sky View Post
    You are right and now I know the transition background and it work very well on my laptop with no lag.
    groovy!

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Well my card is not on the blacklist, but compiz was not working:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

Now after SKIP_CHECKES=yes added, I can use the desktop effects again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Had to do a clean instally of Hardy (for other reasons) and did the setup form the first post, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Beans

Thanks for the tip, straight forward & it worked

I tried it on my gf's notebook toshiba tecra A1 and it brought compiz-fusion and awn back to life.

Much appreciated.
    Last edited by edu77pose; April 27th, 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the workaround. I entered the command compiz --replace and got this:

yorcho@yorcho-laptop:~$ gksudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz
    yorcho@yorcho-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package compizconfig-settings-manager
    yorcho@yorcho-laptop:~$ compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Found laptop using ati driver.
    SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (1024): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

What does this mean? How can I quit the terminal?

Beans

P.S. The visual effects did work correctly for me. I have a Radeon Mobility 7500 C. I had to do this in Hardy but in Gutsy there was no necessity for this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neyuru View Post
    P.S. The visual effects did work correctly for me. I have a Radeon Mobility 7500 C. I had to do this in Hardy but in Gutsy there was no necessity for this.
    Never mind the previous two messages. How do I enable the cube?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by neyuru View Post
    Never mind the previous two messages. How do I enable the cube?

thanks
    You need to install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Then go to System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and check the box for Desktop Cube and allow it to disabled Desktop Wall.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for the advice in this thread, it really helped me out.
    But I still have an annoying problem: I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with all the latest updates on a Compaq Evo N610c (1.8 Ghz Mobile Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 32 MB), and with some haxxing (manually installing xserver-xgl, changing xorg.conf, etc) I got Compiz working.
    But, not entirely.
    Scrolling is very slow in windows and even though glxgears says I have an fps of 35-45 (under Compiz) and 75-80 (under Metacity), the window looks extremely choppy.

When I open a menu under Compiz, there is a white bar next to the end of the alpha blend shadow.

Finally, this is the output of compiz:
    Code:
    Checking for Xgl: present.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checkign for Xgl: present.
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove the value so that operation can continue properly.
    The option is set to its default value, "[]".

Help? <

Beans

Dude! YOU RULE!

On first boot after making changes I was able to enable effects and they work smoothly just like they were on 7.10! AWSOME!

Thank you!

Running 8.04 on an IBM T-40 laptop : ATI Radeon Mobility 7500
    Last edited by hodenkat; April 27th, 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: hardware info

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast