Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

RellikZephyr,
    Your video card does not use the open source ati drivers, so you need to install the restricted drivers from System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. If you need further help with your card, you should start a new help thread since this one is for cards using the open source drivers only. Then somebody more experienced with the restricted drivers can help you out. Good luck.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

aaron p - i have tried installing them but when i run script i get output

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package xserver-xorg-xgl

Rocket2d - i have tried those restriced drivers, and after restart, ubuntu wont start, gets loading splash screen then goes black screen and hangs requiring ubuntu reinstall (on another note, after reinstall i have 2 instances of ubuntu in dual boot screen, how do i remove dead one??)

RellikZephyr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You don't need to reinstall just because the GUI doesn't show up, that can be troubleshot fairly easily actually. However, you really do need to start a new thread for this problem because this thread is for dealing with open source drivers. I do appreciate the problems you are having, so I suggest posting in the beginners section of the forum - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326 and you will certainly get quick help there by users more experienced with restricted ati drivers. Good luck.

Beans

ok will start a new thread see how i go

thanks

RellikZephyr

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks a lot! I got AIGLX/Compiz running!

I use Xubuntu Hardy on my display-less laptop (read: use external monitor instead) with downgraded Xorg (Gutsy's with Feisty's ATI driver) due to blank screen (a bug with recent Xorg)

After struggling to see things on the screen, I want to start Compiz, but says XGL not present. Have no idea to use AIGLX. After installing XGL, DRI somewhat turned off.
    XGL sucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just want to throw this in here, I have had my radeon 9600 (RV350 AR aka: Sapphire x1050) working well with the open source drivers OR the fglrx both without using xgl. I can't get the TV-Out working properly with bigdesktop, but it works ok with dual-screens or clone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: HowTo: Compiz Fusion in Hardy on cards with "ati"/"radeon" open source drivers

after having a compiz(fusion) un my hardy, i have just realized that it interfered my other application.
    i start my totem video player, but it cannot play any videos perfectly (just play a slow motion and no sound at all)
    please help me!!
    i restart my computer audio / video is able to play, but after stopping the playlist, it begin the same thing (like i've said above)
    any help would be appreciated so much!! thanks!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Running compiz can slow down movies and 3d applications, so you should use metacity when use graphics intensive programs, especially on slower computers. The original post in this thread tells you how to switch between compiz and metacity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you so much for this thread. I have put off trying to figure out compiz for a while now, because there seems to be so much to it. Now in half an hour I have cool things like the ring switcher! It's a more efficient work environment, it's fun to use, and certainly catches the attention of anyone looking over my shoulder. Yay linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hello..
    i have problems with compiz fusion...
    if i wanna compiz to work i have to run compiz --replace and then it will run, but.. very slow burining efect (if it shows, sometimes it wont) and other (yesterday worked just fine, with no 2 frames per minute, just very good effects)...
    i just installed emesene and nothin else...

and if i use fusion-icon the effects enable the minimize, x, and maximize buttons disappear.... and... it all get fcked up...

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast