Thread: Need Help, unable to install Ubuntu on my HP DV6000z

Beans

Need Help, unable to install Ubuntu on my HP DV6000z

Hello,
    I have an HP DV6000z. I have been unable to load any of the version up until this point. When the beta version of 8.04 came out, I thought I would give that version a try. All of the previous versions would start to load and then just hang at a black screen. The 8.04 has been different so far. It allows me to go through all the needed steps and then installs up to 87%. At this point the system just hangs. I have tried numerous times and even burned my disk at 12x thinking maybe my reader was having issue's reading at a higher rate. I am really stumped and know longer know where to turn. Here are the spec's of my laptop:
    -HP Dv6000z
    -AMDx64 TK-53 Athlon 1.7 processor
    -4gb ram
    -Vista 64 bit
    -6150 Nvidia video card
    - The rest is the basic HP installed standard hardware/software. I had the 32 bit vista installed prior, but with the same issue's. I only went to the 64 bit to see the difference in performance. I know that my knowledge is far below everyone else here, so I will thank everyone now in advance for ANY insite as to HOW I can load this OS. Also, I know knowthing about editing anything from the command prompt, so if there is a solution from that end, I will need to be treated like a 5 year old with my hand held throught the process. Thanks so much guys for any help. I have a feeling it is the Athlon processor that is holding up everything. My co-workers have the same system with the same spec's. The only difference is that they are running the Turion processor. Hmmmmmmmm.......
    Thanks again!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Need Help, unable to install Ubuntu on my HP DV6000z

Perhaps a common nVidia video driver problem:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First, make sure the disk is good. Check the disk integrity (menu item on opening screen). If the disk is OK there are several things you can try. But make sure the disk is OK first. Does this same disk install the system on the other computers OK?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

Hello,
    Yes, I did check the disk and it came back without errors. I was able to load this without problems on an older XP box. I also reburned the disk as a slower speed in the case that my reader was having issue's with a higer read speed. The end result has been the same. I am now downloading the final of 8.04 LTS, maybe I will have different luck with that version. Has there been any changes made from the beta version???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The disk is fine. The problem is that it is having some trouble dealing with your hardware. This is a fairly common problem with the Live CD. You can try to get the Live CD to boot using kernel parameters. Press F6 at the opening menu, and enter the parameters on the kernel line. Try these:
    Code:
    noapic nolapic acpi=off
    You can try them alone, or in combination. See this wiki for more advice.

If you still can't get the Live CD to work, try the Alternate Install CD. It installs the same Ubuntu desktop system, but it uses a text-based installer that works more reliably. You get it from the Ubuntu download page, check the box below the Start Download button.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

Well, I finally was able to download the final yesterday with too me about 7+ hours. I burned the iso and it loaded successfully today. What a relief. I guess this latest version has the missing drivers that many of the other versions lacked. Thank you everyone for all of the input.......

Beans

I had a similar problem I too have a dv6000z with NVidia graphics, it froze at %15. so the next time I moved the mouse every so often and it installed.
    Desktop:
    Compaq SR1950NX, AMD Athlon 64 2400+, 1.5 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Ubuntu 8.10
    Laptop:
    hp Pavillion dv6000z: Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, Windows XP/Ubuntu 8.10