Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Reports of overheating, high CPU usage and cpu fan blowing all the time are starting to come out.... So it seems that Hardy Heron was not ready for prime time after all.

I used to have Gutsy with wireless, Nvidia restricted and FULL Compiz effects and cube without any temperature issue.

It is not a BIOS problem.
    It is not a dirty fan or heat sink problem.

It is damn Hardy!!!

If not then you experts, EXPLAIN why it does not happen with Gutsy.
    With Hardy my Pentium 4 doesn't comes down from 67C. My laptop is dual boot. With XP it runs under 40C.

Accept it Hardy Heron is flawed, Canonical needs to do something to fix this... or people will always says "You get what you pay for.." when their machines and CPU get fried.

Beans

Re: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

urutoraman, perhaps there is a problem with Hardy's interface to lm-sensors.
    Do you have the CPU speed monitoring applet somewhere in one of your panels? Do you have Speedstep working? Is something constantly loading your processor? (look at usage with System -> Administration -> System Monitor)
    Warning: I sometimes lack patience. Don't take it personally.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cafg10 View Post
    Everyone with a Core 2 CPU which goes any higher than 50 C should be warned, according to Intel.

The 50 C is the top temperature that those chips can support safely without suffering thermal harm, any hotter than that steadly decreases your processor life spectatives.

However, thats mostly for the desktop chips like the E6600 or the E6750, also it might be different for the E8X00 processors.

If your laptop is a little older, you should take it to replace the thermal compound between the chip and the heatsink, also you should check for all your fans working and looking into BIOS for fan control.

Myself, I have some experience with AMD processors temperature, which tolerate a little higher temperature (60 C Windsor vs 50 C Conroe) than the Intel ones, but because they are different, it is not that one is better than the other in thermal efficiency.
    Intel rates the C2D and C2Q up to 68C; Xeon based Conroe and Kentfield chips are rated up to 85C.

Does Hardy not use deep power states? The added heat also means a big chunk out of battery life too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by urutoraman View Post
    Reports of overheating, high CPU usage and cpu fan blowing all the time are starting to come out.... So it seems that Hardy Heron was not ready for prime time after all.

I used to have Gutsy with wireless, Nvidia restricted and FULL Compiz effects and cube without any temperature issue.

It is not a BIOS problem.
    It is not a dirty fan or heat sink problem.

It is damn Hardy!!!

If not then you experts, EXPLAIN why it does not happen with Gutsy.
    With Hardy my Pentium 4 doesn't comes down from 67C. My laptop is dual boot. With XP it runs under 40C.

Accept it Hardy Heron is flawed, Canonical needs to do something to fix this... or people will always says "You get what you pay for.." when their machines and CPU get fried.
    Please keep your spam out of this thread. How does this help the user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie708 View Post
    Intel rates the C2D and C2Q up to 68C; Xeon based Conroe and Kentfield chips are rated up to 85C.

Does Hardy not use deep power states? The added heat also means a big chunk out of battery life too.

Good idea. OP install Powertop, and see if you can get your processor down to its lowest states.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Re: Is my CPU suppose to be this hot

Quote Originally Posted by dicecca112 View Post
    Please keep your spam out of this thread. How does this help the user?
    Help is to stay away from Hardy and go back to Gutsy, while the issue is being fixed.

It is really frustrating, to try every fix posted and keep getting the hot air out of the vents of your computer. It is not fun to let user try fixes with the risk of burning out the CPU/GPU or any other component. If you don't find this a serious issue then you are welcome to experiment.

I have tried the following already without any single step down on CPU temperature:

powertop
    powernowd
    Adding acpi_osi=Linux and acpi_apic_instance=2 to /boot/grub/menu.lst

I have the CPU temperature applet sitting on a panel, showing temperatures going up instead of down when I use the computer and lot of hot air coming out from the vents. The synaptic touchpad is not usable because is really hot to the touch. I can hear the fans blowing from 2 rooms away where the computer is.

The CPU is a Pentium 4 with HT, older than a C2D. Reports of overheating spotted in this forum are coming from users with different CPUs: AMD, C2D, P4, etc. There is something almost common, the majority of the reports are coming from laptop users including myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm a Toshiba A100 user too.
    It runs well with Windows XP, but when it runs ubuntu it's much hotter, at least I can feel the heat from my laptop's case.
    Still the same after upgrading to Hardy.

Beans

I'm using an A100 as well, and my top temperatures have been around 85°C. It only happened after running with full load for some time when it was also quite hot outside, but I figured that was unhealthy. Now I've undervolted my processor, and it hardly gets warmer than 65°C, and under full load I'm saving around 12 Watts.

Edit: Maybe I should add that this is in general, the high temeratures were NOT specific to Hardy or even Linux.
    Last edited by Medo42; April 27th, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm also on a Toshiba A100. I've runn Gutsy since October and saw my temps usually 50-55. I hadn't even been running a monitor since installing Hardy, so I just took a look, and...

...no difference. My laptop has been running non-stop for 10 hours as I type this. I don't have Vista installed anymore, so I can't tell you what temp it is under MS, but I can't see any reason it would be lower.

I can only suggest what others have said already. Use your laptop on a hard surface, use a cooler (I'm not, but sounds like you could use it), and clean the heat sink (sometimes they clog up awful quick). Gook luck!

(and yea, the BIOS on these things has NO useful settings)
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress" -The Tick

Ubuntu Stoke <-my blog of "things and stuff" usually about Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by urutoraman View Post
    Help is to stay away from Hardy and go back to Gutsy, while the issue is being fixed.

It is really frustrating, to try every fix posted and keep getting the hot air out of the vents of your computer. It is not fun to let user try fixes with the risk of burning out the CPU/GPU or any other component. If you don't find this a serious issue then you are welcome to experiment.

I have tried the following already without any single step down on CPU temperature:

powertop
    powernowd
    Adding acpi_osi=Linux and acpi_apic_instance=2 to /boot/grub/menu.lst

I have the CPU temperature applet sitting on a panel, showing temperatures going up instead of down when I use the computer and lot of hot air coming out from the vents. The synaptic touchpad is not usable because is really hot to the touch. I can hear the fans blowing from 2 rooms away where the computer is.

The CPU is a Pentium 4 with HT, older than a C2D. Reports of overheating spotted in this forum are coming from users with different CPUs: AMD, C2D, P4, etc. There is something almost common, the majority of the reports are coming from laptop users including myself.
    Hmm that's odd because I have been using it since the Alpha's and no issues, so have most of my friends, whose laptops run the gambit from an old P4-M, to newer C2Ds like mine. None have the issue.

You gotta remember that this is use at your own risk software, its free. So if you don't like it go to another distro. And have you filed a bug yet? I doubt it. You just want to spam the users.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast