Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Ubuntu read U3 USB memory sticks?

Beans

Re: Can Ubuntu read U3 USB memory sticks?

just purchased a Sandisk 4GB Ti, love the slider style, no cap to loose/break. and if it really is titanium it should be strong.

VERY dissapointed it doesnt come with a quickrelease lanyard, no lanyard AT ALL actually.
    and then this U3 stuff... i had no clue about U3 and i dont want that U3 malarky.
    i dont use skype, i dont use outlook and I DO NOT WANT this STORAGE DEVICE to be used as an MP3 player. if ild want to listen to digital music on the move ild buy an MP3 player, which i still dont own : i enjoy silence when it occurs.

the uninstall tool from Sandisk requires the U3 tool to be running
    which isnt gonna happen on this ubuntu only machine becoz it requires Win2000 SP4
    so im buggered there

cant i format it in ubuntu? whipe it clean of all that "let me stuff this not-asked-for crap down your throat" software?
    and will it be useable in Windows coz i have to use this on the puters at work.

or be patient and format it on a Windows machine at work? will that turn this memory stick in JUST a storage device? will it be U3 free?
    Linux x86 amd64 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) NVidia
    Problems:
    1.Logitech G15v1 keyb - (not yet setup properly yet)

Beans

Guinness70: You should be able to format the device in Ubuntu, but you'll lose all data on it, though I assume that's what you want. First, you need to plug it in, and figure out what device it is. Do this:

Code:
    ls /dev/sd??
    It'll list all the SATA, SCSI, and USB storage devices on your computer. You should be able to determine which one it is. When you're certain you have it, run the following command to zero it:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
    where sdb is your USB stick. This will erase it, so make sure you have the right device! You don't have to zero the whole stick, so just let it go for a few moments, then press control+C to stop it. You can then use fdisk to create a new vfat partition on it and format it. If you're only interested in using it in linux, use ext2, but if you need windows access, you'll have to stick with fat.

As far as alternatives to the U3 software, I second TrueCrypt. It's multiplatform, lightweight, and proven secure.
    Last edited by cracker; May 3rd, 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Beans

thanks Cracker

emptied it as you specified and i did the
    Code:
    $ sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdf1
    with sdf1 being the USBstick

then it only showed the U3 partition

so did the emptying again on sdf1 (isnt showing another)
    and got this
    Code:
    dd: writing `/dev/sdf1': No space left on device
    3828+0 records in
    3827+0 records out
    4013917184 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 366.927 seconds, 10.9 MB/s
    no free diskspace ...

edit:
    done another clearing
    and nother format
    and now it shows both partitions but the U3 stuff is still there ...
    gonna try on the wife's laptop (MS Vista)
    Last edited by Guinness70; May 3rd, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Linux x86 amd64 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) NVidia
    Problems:
    1.Logitech G15v1 keyb - (not yet setup properly yet)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Can Ubuntu read U3 USB memory sticks?

I know all the command but gparted does a good job... Just install that. and format it to what ever you like... if oyur only going to use it on linux systems use a linux format. But otherwise fat file system is best.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have 4 of these by Sandisk, micro 2GB cruzer with u3 smart software on them.

I just wiped them using gparted, all is well, windows likes them, linux likes them, they were cheap, so I like them to

Even turned one of them into a liveUSB with hardy heron on it.

If you want windows to like it as well as linux just choose fat32 or fat16 either way you should be good, unless you want the U3 junk on there, then I don't really know what you should do, wine it maybe as mentioned before.

Beans

Without reformatting these drives, has anyone been able to read from these drives using linux/ubuntu? I haven't been able to access this drive even though other non-U3 drives do not. There will be others using U3 disks who can not format their drives so I am looking for a solution to reading/writing to this drive without reformatting it in any way.

Any solutions out there? I've googled for hours without a real solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by egruber View Post
    I have a memory stick with the U3 System on it. When I mount it, I can only view the U3 system files, not the files I copied to the stick. Of course, I cannot run the U3 application. Any ideas on how I can view the files? Or should I just stick to non-U3 memory sticks?

And I'm really a newbie here, so please explain any steps. Thanks!!
    My advice is to remove the U3 software permanently. U3 is a PITA that serves no purpose IMO. To remove it you will need to find a Windows machine to run the software.

http://www.u3.com/uninstall/
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by linuxstl View Post
    Without reformatting these drives, has anyone been able to read from these drives using linux/ubuntu?
    I just plug my Kingston U3 2Gb and I can access the data partition without problem. And the U3 Sys Partition shows up as a CDROM drive.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

You can mount it as you would any other disk but you have to know which logical volume is the one that has the data

$ sudo lshw

should produce something like this:
    *-scsi:2
    physical id: 3
    bus info: usb@4:6
    logical name: scsi8
    capabilities: emulated scsi-host
    configuration: driver=usb-storage
    *-disk
    description: SCSI Disk
    product: U3 Cruzer Micro
    vendor: SanDisk
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@8:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sdb
    version: 3.27
    size: 1953MiB (2048MB)
    capabilities: removable
    configuration: ansiversion=2
    *-medium
    physical id: 0
    logical name: /dev/sdb
    size: 1953MiB (2048MB)
    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
    configuration: signature=000c949d
    *-volume
    description: Windows FAT volume
    vendor: mkdosfs
    physical id: 1
    logical name: /dev/sdb1
    version: FAT32
    serial: 4990-58c1
    size: 1953MiB
    capacity: 1953MiB
    capabilities: primary fat initialized
    configuration: FATs=2 filesystem=fat
    *-cdrom
    description: CD-R writer
    product: U3 Cruzer Micro
    vendor: SanDisk
    physical id: 0.0.1
    bus info: scsi@8:0.0.1
    logical name: /dev/scd1
    logical name: /dev/sr1
    version: 3.27
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r
    configuration: ansiversion=2 status=ready
    *-medium
    physical id: 0
    logical name: /dev/scd1

There are two partitions there one is the cd and the one with the files the FAT32 one.

The cd is the one with the ub3 software and the FAT32 volume is the partition with the files.

So you want to mount the volume That is FAT32 which has a logical name of /dev/sdb1 in this case (might be different on your system depending on what's already mounted).

So what I do is make a dir /media/ub3disk as root
    then mount to that point.. unfortunatly it mounts it read only unless you are root

$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/ub3disk

anyone know how to make it writable?
    Last edited by cheruvim; March 19th, 2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: wanted to be clear about which volume to mount

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by egruber View Post
    You are exactly right. I only want to access the data portion. I don't care about the U3 aspects when I use my Ubuntu PC. I will try what you suggested tonight. I suspect that it cannot see the data partition. The U3 part shows up as a CD drive, and that's all I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiom99 View Post
    I just plug my Kingston U3 2Gb and I can access the data partition without problem. And the U3 Sys Partition shows up as a CDROM drive.
    I have a friend who experiences the same thing. Not sure why it works for him and not me. I think he has a later version? I have Hardy Heron, is there one later than than?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12