Thread: restore xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

restore xorg.conf?

I need to generate a new xorg.conf file. Deleted my old one and made a new one and now it's all messed up. the dpkg-reconfigure command is not what I want! The dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command only generates a generic xorg.conf file that doesn't work very well for me. I want the one that ubuntu creates when the OS is installed.

Can anybody help me out?

Beans

Re: restore xorg.conf?

AFAIK, dpkg-reconfigure doesn't reset to a default, but instead to what it is you're wanting. Besides that, there are a few backups kept in /etc/X11.

EDIT: You might get better help if you specify what problems you're having.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Having problem with Compiz after 7.10 -> 8.04.
    Looks like a same source of the problem. )
    The window borders show themselves on active window only.
    When turning off the "window decoraton" plugin in Compiz, the window borders disappears ))

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Urik View Post
    Having problem with Compiz after 7.10 -> 8.04.
    Looks like a same source of the problem. )
    The window borders show themselves on active window only.
    When turning off the "window decoraton" plugin in Compiz, the window borders disappears ))
    Did you delete the local compiz config files? They may a conflict between the entries in the file so try the following:
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.config/compiz
    then logout and login again. Compiz will generate a new config file so you will need to reset your compiz preferences.
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

This doesn't help you now, but will for the future.

Never, ever delete the xorg.conf file to replace it with a modified new one. If you use a text editor, most of them will make a backup for you (commonly renamed xorg.conf~).

If you want to drop in a replacement, or just make a snapshot of a current "good" configuration that works, cp the file into a new filename.

Otherwise you are just burning the bridges behind you, and no easy way to go back.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.