Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL DVD?! I need to back up /home!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

DL DVD?! I need to back up /home!

hello out there in 'buntu land...

i'm trying to back up /home and keep getting asked for a double-layer dvd. not only do i not have any, but i've backed up before and been fine with my usual dvd-rw/-r (i've tried both this morning). i've been using k3b, and i can't seem to find where i can modify the DVD type it is asking for. i've also tried using the default "make dvd?" app that launches when i insert a blank dvd-rw/-r.
    i'm using the gui, so i've no output to post. any help much appreciated... i'm currently back-up-less!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: DL DVD?! I need to back up /home!

The alternative is to place /home on a new partition. This can be found here --> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

I am unfamiliar with k3b, but if you are having to backup your /home a lot you should really follow the guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

well, how much data is in /home? a single layer DVD is only 4.3GB. fwiw, i use an external usb-connected drive and grsync to do backups - it's very easy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Almost all CD/DVD burning software will ask for the disk that will be capable of holding what you are trying to write. Are you sure that there is enough space on a single layer DVD to hold what you are trying to write?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just a near-shot-in-the-dark... ... what's the size of /home? Is k3b asking for a double layer because you're trying to write a filesize >~4.7G ??

IndyTim
    New Build : Core 2 Quad, 8G RAM, 1.75TB Storage ... it's fun!
    GRUB Partition Linux Backups- Ver2 Easy LAMP Install
    Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu User 15015

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

hello all - thanks for the speedy replies.

the writing on the packages all say my dvds are 4.7gb - the data i'm trying to write is 4.5gb - which makes me think it *should* fit. timcredible, you mention that the average dvd holds only 4.3gb. is the other .4 spoken for?

since my original post i did manage to write to dvd a smaller amount of data (not all of /home). so i guess everyone is right about not-enough-space. (who knew 4.7 - 4.5 = -2 ?!)

thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I've ran into the same issue myself here and there. I don't know about you, but it happens to me for different discs in the same batch. Some seem to be able to hold more data than others. It's been plain old puzzling on this end . . . . . .
    Make sure to use a descriptive title for your threads.
    Registered Ubuntu User #21746
    Not all Who Wander Are Lost . . . . .

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    hello all - thanks for the speedy replies.

the writing on the packages all say my dvds are 4.7gb - the data i'm trying to write is 4.5gb - which makes me think it *should* fit. timcredible, you mention that the average dvd holds only 4.3gb. is the other .4 spoken for?

since my original post i did manage to write to dvd a smaller amount of data (not all of /home). so i guess everyone is right about not-enough-space. (who knew 4.7 - 4.5 = -2 ?!)

thanks.
    Don't forget that a portion of the DVD's capacity gets eaten up by the disc's table of contents. I can't remember the exact amount of space lost, but if I recall correctly, you generally only get 4.5 GB on a 4.7 GB disc.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    Don't forget that a portion of the DVD's capacity gets eaten up by the disc's table of contents. I can't remember the exact amount of space lost, but if I recall correctly, you generally only get 4.5 GB on a 4.7 GB disc.
    That seems like a HUGE amount of space for it . . . . .

Oh well, just like my 80 Gb hard drive that only holds 74 Gb of data.
    Make sure to use a descriptive title for your threads.
    Registered Ubuntu User #21746
    Not all Who Wander Are Lost . . . . .

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wannadumpwindows View Post
    That seems like a HUGE amount of space for it . . . . .

Oh well, just like my 80 Gb hard drive that only holds 74 Gb of data.
    It depends on how many files need to be references in the ToC. For comparison purposes, take a look at a multi-session CD sometime and see how much capacity gets lost to the table of contents. It's very easy to waste half of the disc to ToCs if you write a number of relatively small sessions, as each session requires a new ToC. Again, I don't remember the exact capacity, but I believe the standard for data CDs is to allocate 30MB for the ToC. The first ToC is already allocated when the blank disc is produced, so you don't see the additional loss of capacity on writing a single session. You will notice it on adding a second and subsequent sessions to the same disc.

It's slightly different from the HD situation where it's genuine a numbers game of "Guess how we calculate capacity".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast