Thread: Does S-Video out require that I have a monitor plugged in?

Beans

Does S-Video out require that I have a monitor plugged in?

If I boot my computer when a monitor is plugged in, the TV-out via svideo works fine without any problems.

However, if I don't have a monitor plugged in, then the bios screen will show on the TV, but when it's time for the Ubuntu login screen to come, the tv won't show any picture.

Anyone have any ideas?

(note, even if the monitor is unplugged from the wall, the tvout still works... it's the monitor out cable that does it somehow)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Does S-Video out require that I have a monitor plugged in?

Do you by any chance have a Nvidia video card? I've had one for years and that's always the way it worked with the nvidia drivers (i.e., the S-vid cable had to be plugged into something, for it to pump tv out). Why do you not just leave the cable plugged in?

If the issue is that you want to display on both your TV and a regular monitor at the same time, there is a way to "clone" the display to accomplish this. I found it handy when I wanted to watch mythtv in the living room, but still have the ability go down to the basement if I wanted to sit in front of a monitor for "real" work, without having to re-start X. It's been a while, but if you search "nvidia" and "clone" in this forum, someone has probably documented how to do this more recently. I have HDTV now so don't need it anymore.