Thread: Installing Ubuntu on an older laptop

Hybrid View

Beans

Installing Ubuntu on an older laptop

I've seen conflicting opinions on this topic...

I've a Toshiba Portege 7200CT, running a Pentium III 600MHz with 320MB RAM and a 6GB hardrive. I currently have Xubuntu 7.10 on it, but as I want to soon install Ubuntu on a spare desktop I'd like to keep my user experience consistent between the two machines.

If I use that laptop mostly for writing, maybe some surfing, can I install Ubuntu with those specs using the Alternate CD?

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older laptop

I think so yes, no problem, but use the internet connection and synaptic package manager (not another CD).

All you have to do is install the package ubuntu-desktop. This is a bunch of libraries and packages which will create the normal Ubuntu environment. You can keep your existing xubuntu (xfce) environment if you wish, or later uninstall the relevant package xubuntu-desktop.

With both packages installed, you can choose at log in time from a options menu which Session you want!

You do not have to re install ubuntu or such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

do you mean you want to replace xubuntu on your laptop with ubuntu? if so, you don't have to reinstall, if you don't want to, have a look here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/gnome

if you want a fresh install anyway, i see no problem using the alternate cd

best of luck
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you have Xubuntu working fine then I think the alternate install CD should install Ubuntu just fine. You might consider sticking with Xubuntu for the laptop though. I would think it would run a bit faster than Ubuntu with gnome, but it should work.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

This is the fastest-responding forum, and most helpful, I've ever witnessed--thanks all!

I was thinking about a fresh install, though I'm open to suggestions. I still haven't worked out the networking connection with the laptop and Xubuntu, so I had been expecting to use a CD--though I also had expected to finally work out the networking, too, so I can try to connect online. Maybe I'll try that first.

A performance hit isn't so much a concern, since I'd only be writing with that laptop while traveling. I bought it from a guy on ebay who refurbished it with the 6GB HD. If only he had kept it to the stock 12GB...