Thread: RAM Over 4GB

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

RAM Over 4GB

So I just picked up two servers with over 4GB of RAM. I'm currently trying to decide how to use it. To start off, 64bit is out of the question, just not possible. They have Quad PIII Xeons.

I know with Windows Server, I can use Enterprise to use either 8, and 16, or I can use /PAE in the boot script to bring it well over 4gb in a 32bit OS. My question, how can I do this using linux? More specificly, non-guit linux. I plan to use this for VMWare Server, and that's it.

I really like Ubuntu Server, so I wanted to stick with it, but if it's not possible, then I'll have to go with Windows Server

Beans
    Distro

Re: RAM Over 4GB

Well, I've never been a big Red Hat fan, atleast not in years, however I'm now finding this http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/redhat...m-support.html

Anyone know of something like this for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

just install ubuntu-image-server and the restricted-modules

sudo aptitude install linux-image-server linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-server

the server kernel supports PAE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The 32bit server version of Ubuntu supports > 4GB of ram via PAE. You don't have to do anything, it will just work.

Beans
    Distro

all of our servers are running ubuntu 32bit and they do not encounter issues with 4GB of ram.

Beans
    Distro

My problem isn't 4gb however, I'm using around 8.6 Gigs in one, and over 16 in the other.

The server with 8 gigs loaded Ubuntu-server ok, just kind of hung the first time around. It also had a problem seeing the disk arraay. It doesn't however see over 4Gigs, only not the full 8+, instead it seems to only see 7.6 Gigs. This seems like a small price to pay for that much however. Probbably a bit overkill for quad PIII Xeons anyway..