Thread: video cards

Beans

video cards

Hi all. New to this forum. I am thinking about installing the new version of ubuntu when it is ready. I tried install another version of linux and had video problems. I have a GeForce 8800 card and wanted to know if it will be supported under new ubuntu. I could not get it to work with the other version I was trying to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: video cards

Hi,

I recently upgraded to new hardware, including a GeForce 8800GT
    card. Hardy Heron started up and the card worked ok. I also went
    with the third-party driver in Hardy Heron and that worked too.

I didn't try installing the driver from nvidia manually, so I
    don't know if that is different.

Ed Parlette

Beans

Thanks, good to know. I know I wouldn't be interested in messing with new drivers right now. New to this and just want it to work to begin with. Might try playing later.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The manual install of the proprietary nvidia driver is a little bit trickier than the basic drivers, since you have to do it without the GUI running. If you don't mind dropping to the command line for 2 things (running the nvidia installer and changing your xorg.conf), it is pretty simple to install. For now, it's the only way I can get any support for my card (9600gt).

Beans

Ok, again thanks for the reply. I may ask for some additional help if and when I get to that point. Will take it a slow at first and see how things work out.