Thread: Help wanted : Installation recommendation

Beans

Question Help wanted : Installation recommendation

Hi;

I'm leaving for the jungle in a few weeks to start doing some research. I'll be traveling light so I wont be carrying my laptop. The only computer available at the station where I'll be staying is a Compaq Presario 5441 which I was noticed has Windows98 but is not loading. I'm planning to burn a Xubuntu or Ubuntu Cd before I go there so I can install it and use it but I was wondering if I'll need the 64-bit version or the regular one? Also, what you experienced user recommend for this machine? Ubu? Xubu?

Note: I'll just need OpenOffice Spreadsheet and Word Processor, NOTHING ELSE (maybe R if there's a way I can get it), I won't even have Internet connection there.

Which release and version do you guys think I should bring?

here the system specs:
    Processor Type: 450 MHz AMD K6-2

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=93344&dlc=fr

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Help wanted : Installation recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Ordep_ View Post
    Hi;

I'm leaving for the jungle in a few weeks to start doing some research. I'll be traveling light so I wont be carrying my laptop. The only computer available at the station where I'll be staying is a Compaq Presario 5441 which I was noticed has Windows98 but is not loading. I'm planning to burn a Xubuntu or Ubuntu Cd before I go there so I can install it and use it but I was wondering if I'll need the 64-bit version or the regular one? Also, what you experienced user recommend for this machine? Ubu? Xubu?

Note: I'll just need OpenOffice Spreadsheet and Word Processor, NOTHING ELSE (maybe R if there's a way I can get it), I won't even have Internet connection there.

Which release and version do you guys think I should bring?

here the system specs:
    Processor Type: 450 MHz AMD K6-2

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=93344&dlc=fr

Thanks.
    HI and with those low specs you may look at Puppy or DSL ( Damn small linux).