Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member with many questions in mind

Beans

new member with many questions in mind

hi there
    I am a new user . i have been trying and thinking to install ubunto and at last i did ; I have many questions if u could plz help me as an open source community :
    1- i want to make a network with a laptop and desktop .the desktop is windows and the laptop is ubunto and I want to share folders btwn the two
    2- i want to share internet connection btwn the two
    3- I really want to be an expert in linux and get rid of windows coz I am fed up with it

there other questions .....

and thanks a lot in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: new member with many questions in mind

Well as for the folder sharing Idk if you could share folders between the two. Do you mean 2 computers, one with Windows and one with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: new member with many questions in mind

Quote Originally Posted by nabilsunnah View Post
    hi there
    I am a new user .
    Welcome

1- i want to make a network with a laptop and desktop .the desktop is windows and the laptop is ubunto and I want to share folders btwn the two
    You can access Windows shares via Ubuntu 'out-of-the-box' simply by browsing the network. This is because Ubuntu has the Samba client which is a client implementation of the Windows File and Printer Sharing protocol. This is Ubuntu accessing shares on Windows.

OR you can install Samba daemon (Server) and allow your Ubuntu machine to share folders which Windows machines can connect to. This is more complex to setup though. This is Windows accessing 'Windows' shares on Ubuntu.

I would get a Router if you don't already have one, but both Windows or Ubuntu could be set up to 'share' the internet connection to other clients.

3- I really want to be an expert in linux and get rid of windows coz I am fed up with it
    Good luck. Just use Ubuntu for a while - it might seem a bit tricky at first, but this will pass as you get more used to a different way of doing things.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it snapped off.
    Ubuntu user number # 12234

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoot View Post
    Well as for the folder sharing Idk if you could share folders between the two. Do you mean 2 computers, one with Windows and one with Ubuntu?
    file sharing between ubuntu and windows is possible

as mentioned by Daveski it is easier just to browse your network , but if you wish to install Samba server
    heres a video on step by step instructions on ubuntu 6.10 using Samba server file sharing as mentioned above
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad17kma8rNM

although in the video its done with ubuntu 6.10 it should be the same or very similar in Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04

-sam
    Last edited by sam_delta; April 23rd, 2008 at 01:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You need to setup a network using Windows. Once that is setup, you just go to System --> Network Folders (Or something like that, I forget)
    That is beyond my expertise. I think you can get Windows to do it by Sharing an Internet Connection, but in Linux, I have no idea.

Well, that takes time and practice. You have already installed Linux, and that is your first step to Linux Nirvana .

Beans

thks alot for your replies
    Iam making a connection btwn the two wiy$th a little bit old way a rj 45 FILE

Beans

hi there
    I am a new user . i have been trying and thinking to install ubunto and at last i did ; I have many questions if u could plz help me as an open source community : 1- i want to make a network with a laptop and desktop .the desktop is windows and the laptop is ubunto and I want to share folders btwn the two
    Hi !

Code:
    sudo apt-get install quagga
    Ubuntu can be figured to run as a router, linux has the TCP/IP protcol stack built in, as is brillient at it. Sometimes this involves editing config files to ensure it works properly. There is no internet connection share wizard... (Can be a good thing)

Linux it brill.

there other questions .....and thanks a lot in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by martrn View Post
    Hi !

Code:
    sudo apt-get install quagga

thanks a lot
    I did the code ther is a msg asking me to give a password
    I tried to type my password but it neither accept numbers nor letters and when I click enter it says sorry try again

Beans

thanks a lot
    I did the code ther is a msg asking me to give a password
    I tried to type my password but it neither accept numbers nor letters and when I click enter it says sorry try again
    Just type your password. You don't see any feedback, but just type it anyway and press Enter.

Beans

I did but the command shell refuses to write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast