Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Compatible Computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Compatible Computer?

I'm planning on building my first computer and I'd like to be sure everything I'm putting in it is compatible with Ubuntu. All the parts are listed at my newegg wish list. I know the nVidia Graphics driver currently has some performance issues, but I trust nVidia will fix them.
    Does anyone see something which looks like it could be a problem?
    Thanks in advance.

(Click newegg wish list to visit it or just copy paste https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...e=DIY+Computer)
    Last edited by javagamer; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Fix Link & add address

Beans

Re: Compatible Computer?

eh, wanna throw a link to the wishlist so we can take a look for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry about the link, I think it just isn't visible. It should work if you click "newegg wish list".
    -javagamer
    Check out my website at thejavagamer.com.
    Hardy 8.04 AMD64 on Intel 2 Quad Core 2.66 Ghz, nVidia 9600GT, 8 GB RAM, 2 640 GB, b-Enspire, acer 24" Monitor

Beans

eh maybe I'm doing something wrong but still not seeing a link, can you just throw a straight address?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's on the top line

It's because the forum upgrade hasn't been made to parse links in different colors yet , for what it's worth, the link is below

Click Me For The WishList

Color added by myself

Beans

Ah fair enough, sorry. Actually everything looks good, I'm running the same processor on my main machine, and the motherboard on a different both running Ubuntu (well Xubuntu on one of them) without a hitch. One question though, what are your backup plans? I see only 1 HD. I just recently had a HD take a dive that I wasn't backing up. As long as you're getting a new machine, if you've got the cash put another HD in and do a RAID 1, or if you have a spare computer laying around use something like RESTORE (LINK)

I am not affiliated with Restore, other than a user

Beans

The 750W PSU is massive overkill. You're going to be wasting power because running a powerful PSU with low load isn't efficient (although Corsair/Seasonic PSU's are top-notch in efficiency, so it won't be terribly inefficient). See http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

I personally didn't care for the Logitech X-230's (gave them to my m0m). They had excellent bass response, but no mids, and the highs were a bit muddled.

I don't see a CPU on the list
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans

Processor is on there, Intel Quad Core....

As for the PSU I disagree, I'd rather have a PS that is over-kill up front, than one that I can't add any type of expansion later without replacing the PSU again. Plus we don't know how many, if any add-on's he's plugging in after the fact.

My 2 bits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is true. Without looking at the wishlist I can say right now that if you want a high-end graphics card in there, it'll suck up a lot of power. Plus adding another HDD or 2 can add to the power load.

Having said that 500W might be better, I don't know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

But a normal HDD uses only about 10-20W of power. Only problem you could run into is when you start them all at the same time. But with less than 4 drives I would not care to worry about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast