Thread: install or upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question install or upgrade?

hello everyone i saw that the canidate has been released and in 2 days the new ubuntu will be released, and im thinking about installing it, but my question is, is it (unlike micr$oft) able to upgrade without and problems, or is it better to do a full reinstall of ubuntu?

-thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: install or upgrade?

Clean install anytime.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok thanks, i did a search but i must not have been really looking... lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

yeah with any *new* Ubuntu version it always seems better to just do a clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i know this is a little off topic but what exactly do the developers do with each new 'version' of ubuntu, is it kinda like a 'service pack' to windows, where it includes fixes, updates, new stuff, or is it more of a new build altogether, or is it kinda in between?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wwarsin View Post
    i know this is a little off topic but what exactly do the developers do with each new 'version' of ubuntu, is it kinda like a 'service pack' to windows, where it includes fixes, updates, new stuff, or is it more of a new build altogether, or is it kinda in between?
    Linux in not Windows, Linux is open source. Most source code for application in ubuntu are available for free, (free as in speach not as in beer) and you can download the source code, and compile (into machine code) all of the software yourself if you had the time or were so inclined.

This follows on the earlier unix pholosipy of sharing souce code, but linux is most definatly noting like windows. Windows is closed source.

Each new version of the distribution (ie each new ubuntu version), if effectivly as complete rebuild + recompile of the source code from the individual packages, utilising all the new source code from the updates of its individual packages.

You can't compare it to windows, windows is propietry and closed source code and in effect microsoft developed the idear of closed source and propietry software.
    Last edited by martrn; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:29 PM.