Thread: I need a virtual PC

Hybrid View

Beans

I need a virtual PC

I need a virtual PC so I can other versions of linux in windows. I want to run kubuntu in it. I am already using wubi with ubuntu which works great. I have VirtualBox but something with my computer screws it up and the resolution is always smalled than the screen. I look into the X11.conf code and notice some resolutions and stuff like that is missing but when I try to change it, it usually crashes. So I am wondering if anyone knows of another virtual PC I can use. I can't use microsoft because I do not have windows XP pro. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I need a virtual PC

VMWare is free, afaik
    Be aware however that virtual machines use virtual graphics adapters. Do not expect the same level of graphics performance and features form a virtualized environment tahn you could from a native one.

Personally I ude Virtualbox the other way around, i.e. to do the chores I cannot avoid to do in Windows. VirtualBox 1.% and onwards are very good, in my experience. But I'm certainly no expert.
    I'm thinking about it

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Well so far VmWare won't accept my email I guess. It won't let me download anything besides the player so I can't download one of their virtual machines.

Also, I am using virtualbox already and it does not work correctly with my laptop as I can only use 600 x 800 resolution for some reason.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drmoore1 View Post
    Also, I am using virtualbox already and it does not work correctly with my laptop as I can only use 600 x 800 resolution for some reason.
    As I said, I cannot claim expertise with Virtualbox on Windows. I run it on Ubuntu to run Windows as a guest, not the other way around.
    I'm thinking about it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

VMWare is pretty good in other OS's. I haven't used it much in Linux though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

VMware is free for home use but not open source. Did you install the VBoxVideo driver? If not, look for VBoxGuestAdditions in the menu. Follow the instructions in the readme file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Vmware is great for emulating other OS' inside Ubuntu, for the other way around you can't beat Microsoft Virtual PC from experience.
    Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter to me ... to me... - Freddy Mercury.