Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from GNOME to KDE in Ubuntu

Beans

Switching from GNOME to KDE in Ubuntu

Is there a way to switch from GNOME to KDE, while keeping Compiz and not reinstalling with Kubuntu?
    The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux

Beans

Re: Switching from GNOME to KDE in Ubuntu

YES, you can install KDE on Ubuntu without installing Kubuntu
    just open the terminal and type:
    sudo apt-get install kde

it will download it from the internet,so make sure you have an internet connection, after setup is finished.
    you can then choose KDE or GNOME at the login screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Now that hardy is out, I am using Gnome in 8.04

If I were to install KDE 4.0.2 or what ever it is, would the process be the same as above?

What would be the ramifications for stability and package updates? Would it cause the system to become unstable to use 2 desktop environments or not?

Beans

They can be installed next to one another with out a great degradation IMHO. They are complied to work in the Ubuntu universe so that the underlying libraries and such aren't different versions. You can get in to trouble if you start installing bleeding edge software that requires a brand new library for the compile which can cause problems with backward compatibility. Installing things just from Ubuntu repos should keep one safe.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by marwansherin View Post
    YES, you can install KDE on Ubuntu without installing Kubuntu
    just open the terminal and type:
    sudo apt-get install kde

it will download it from the internet,so make sure you have an internet connection, after setup is finished.
    you can then choose KDE or GNOME at the login screen.
    Could be wrong, but I think your better off with sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

Just typing KDE would install the stock KDE, but I think Kubuntu-desktop meta package is ubuntu specific.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

for hardy 8.04 will that install the kubuntu desktop KDE 4.0.0.2 or what ever kde 4 is?

More than anything I want to give it a test run. I have 4-5 hard drives, but dont feel like setting up a partition just to run the Kubuntu desktop, already had enough nightmares getting vista installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You can get the pkg from synaptic as well, it's under KDE. That is what I did, and I have not had any problems yet. (It has only been a few weeks though).

I think you will have to wait for the official release of Hardy before you get KDE 4. (You might get it sooner if you go to settings -> repositories -> updates(tab) then enable pre-release, but I don't know that for sure. If anybody knows better, feel free to correct me on this).

Related Question: Does any one know how I can configure the login script so that some users can start GNOME and others start KDE by default? My whole family uses the same computer, and we don't all like the same DE.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Uber-Noob View Post
    You can get the pkg from synaptic as well, it's under KDE. That is what I did, and I have not had any problems yet. (It has only been a few weeks though).

I think you will have to wait for the official release of Hardy before you get KDE 4. (You might get it sooner if you go to settings -> repositories -> updates(tab) then enable pre-release, but I don't know that for sure. If anybody knows better, feel free to correct me on this).

Related Question: Does any one know how I can configure the login script so that some users can start GNOME and others start KDE by default? My whole family uses the same computer, and we don't all like the same DE.
    kubuntu-desktop metapackage, I'm fairly certain, will install the supported kubuntu desktop, so KDE 3.5. you can install KDE 4 now by executing

sudo apt-get install kde4

However, I very much recommend you "Try Out" kde4 via the kubuntu remix CD Live. After a few days of having it installed, I found it to be really cool, but really buggy. If your mileage varies, then by all means!

Just a word of advice.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you want to get the equivalent desktop to what you would get with a fresh kubuntu install you want to install the kubuntu-desktop package for KDE3.5 If you want KDE4 you need to install the kubuntu-kde4-desktop package. Installing only kde or kde4 will not give you the full desktop experience.

I've tried KDE4 a few days ago. It is crashy and has much less functionality than KDE3.5. (I'm talking about *actual* functionality, not potential. KDE4 has more potential but it is mainly theoretical at this point.) I've searched in forums where long time KDE users were giving their opinion of KDE4 and most are saying people should wait for 4.1 at the very least.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did the exact same thing for gusty KDE ontop of Ubuntu gnome, was the worst thing i ever did, all the little things like sounds in programs like k3b no longer worked ( unless i deleted the .gnome dirctory ) and the wireless profile manager really got confused with settings in kde and gnome.

If you really want both desktops ( which is more work also,learning where things are in both gets confusing ) partition and install KDE and speratly gnome and then perhaps try sharing the files for things like photos,music, just leave the settings alone to each desktop env.
    Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast