Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My interesting yesterday

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

My interesting yesterday

So yesterday I was going to an old friends house to set up a wireless network and during this relatively painfree process she started talking about needing to buy a laptop for her mother.

Now her mother lives in Iceland, and they wanted to buy a laptop here in Denmark and bring it up to her - that caused the following problems, no vendor appeared to have icelandic layout keyboards on stock - easy fix is that not many keys differ from the danish layout so one just orders a set of sticky tape layout things and problem solved.

Second problem was much harder, getting Windows in said language - since the poor woman doesn't speak Danish, nor reads english very well - and who could have blamed her, at youngful 70 you just don't bother with these things. So one pondered for a while and the answer popped right into ones head.. Ubuntu, here we could just change the layout of the keyboard with one swift setting - very handy, and I was sure it was available in Icelandic.. much to my disappointment though, GNOME stats showed that 2.12 was only at 17.7% translated.

Quick to think I showed my friend Rosetta, and offered that I would teach her and her icelandic friends how to translate software using this very cool tool - she was amazed at how easy it looked and quickly agreed to ask around with all her friends to set up a date for said tutoring session.

So in one afternoon, I got my hair cut, setup my first wireless network, converted a user to Linux.. and potentially started a translation team.

How cool is that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: My interesting yesterday

How cool is that?
    Very

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

What are you doing tomorrow. I hear they're looking for someone to solve world poverty . . .
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bunced
    What are you doing tomorrow. I hear they're looking for someone to solve world poverty . . .
    and shine my shoes...

I jest: That's awsome!

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by bunced
    And on the 7th day he rested?

No today I will be talking my dad into replacing his Mandriva 2006 setup with Ubuntu (don't get me wrong the man is hardcore - he used Solaris since before I was born - he uses Mandriva because it works for him). Regardles the new version pissed him off, it now requires him to learn kerberos to get his thin client setup working and it's generally slower. For a long time I've been telling him about how much GNOME rocks and it now seems that I have my chance, I burned him a copy of Breezy and we'll see how things go.

This means mom finally will get transistioned to GNOME from KDE, yay!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Good work!!!

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    And on the 7th day he rested?

No today I will be talking my dad into replacing his Mandriva 2006 setup with Ubuntu (don't get me wrong the man is hardcore - he used Solaris since before I was born - he uses Mandriva because it works for him). Regardles the new version pissed him off, it now requires him to learn kerberos to get his thin client setup working and it's generally slower. For a long time I've been telling him about how much GNOME rocks and it now seems that I have my chance, I burned him a copy of Breezy and we'll see how things go.

This means mom finally will get transistioned to GNOME from KDE, yay!!
    Ah, so this explains your KDE hatred. It's a puberty, rebellion kind of thing.

Just joking and a cool story btw.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    Ah, so this explains your KDE hatred. It's a puberty, rebellion kind of thing.

Just joking and a cool story btw.
    Puberty??

I'm 24 - and if you knew anything about me you'd know that I used KDE for a long time, but in the end switched to GNOME on it's merits.

So why don't you just crawl back under your bridge troll.

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    Puberty??

I'm 24 - and if you knew anything about me you'd know that I used KDE for a long time, but in the end switched to GNOME on it's merits.

So why don't you just crawl back under your bridge troll.
    Yes, your response sure showed how grown up you are....

Btw., I thought someone who had "(If you are offended by the post, please understand I have Tourette's)" in his sig might be able to take a joke, but it looks like I overestimated you.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    Yes, your response sure showed how grown up you are....

Btw., I thought someone who had "(If you are offended by the post, please understand I have Tourette's)" in his sig might be able to take a joke, but it looks like I overestimated you.
    You know why I have that in my signature, because I was sick of explaining my medical condition over and over to people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast