Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gparted is sloooooooooooow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gparted is sloooooooooooow

Quote Originally Posted by mgol View Post
    Actually, if You look at what exactly GParted does You'll see that it does fsck after nearly each operation (sic!); it also often does read-only test before doing an actual move, it chooses optimal blocksize etc. etc. I don't see what is the reason for all that redundance. Come on, if I wanted to check my partition integrity, I would do it myself. Because of that I saw several times the following scenario on large partitions:
    1) fsck - 1 hour
    2) shrink/etc. - a few seconds
    3) fsck - 1 hour
    No wonder why it takes so much time...

Anyone knows what's the point of all those time-consuming steps?
    Stability, sir. Stability.

I understand your point- it does seem a bit redundant, but when youre moving hundreds of gigabytes of data, you need all of the safety checks possible, to make sure nothing is 'lost' along the way.
    Id rather take a 3 hour resize over losing my whole disk in 10 minutes

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd rather have fsck take an hour and find nothing wrong, than have to spend several hours recovering data because of a problem that would have been fixed if fsck had been run but didn't find because it wasn't run.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I see Your point but I sometimes resize partitions with no unrecoverable & fragile data but with things I could recreate within a day or two. Taking that partition failures happen very seldom (from my experience) I would still win a lot of time (in average). At least an "unsafe" operation procedure should be available (of course, with all warnings etc. etc.) for such operations.
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Couldn't gparted be program in such a way that if a particular sector doesn't have data on it (free space), then there is no point copying/moving it? i guess that would improve the speed drastically!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'd just add that I think there's more going on with the original problem than just 'gparted being slow'. I've used it a lot, and generally can resize/move multi-hundred Gb partitions on internal and external drives in a few hours, not days. I suspect that the orginal poster's external drive was running at USB 1.1 speeds rather than USB 2.0 (which with USB1.1 being 40x slower than USB2.0, would definitely make gparted take 'forever' on some operations!).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678