Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can't see windows shares in nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: can't see windows shares in nautilus

This is the problem I am having. I have 4 desktops and a laptop on my network. Hardy desktop, Hardy Laptop, Gutsy desktop, XP desktop, and a Vista Desktop. Since I installed Hardy on both the laptop and the desktop I can not see the shares from the Vista computer. It shows up on the network but when I open it up it does not show the shared folders. I can though see the XP shares and the Gutsy shares. From the Gutsy computer I can see the Vista shares. The really strange thing is when I boot to the Hardy live CD I can see and access the Vista shares. If this is a nautilus problem then why does it work on the Live CD, but not once the installation is done.
    If I try the network server and try to access the vista computer that way it gives me an error that it is already mounted.
    Any Ideas.
    Thanks
    The MSC Giz Cast found at MSC Compcasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Impact_666 View Post
    Probably. I tell people, from day 1, use passwords, and lock everything down, even if they think it's trivial. Many people think passwords are inconvenient (more so than being hacked?).
    I bet they're using Windows Simple File Sharing. It's the default sharing method on Windows XP and it allows anonymous access. Gnome Keyring makes passwords quite convenient. Shame we can't use it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

With mine, I can't even see the computer names... Only the workgroup folders.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i can't see shares on a server, but if i tyep "smb://server/share" i can see inside.

but then inside some of those folders i can't see any further!

gives me the error..

"The folder contents could not be displayed.

Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Accounts": Invalid argument"

i kinda need to be able to see inside this folder as it holds the 1000 pupils account folders!

pretty dissapointed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Still surprised at the seemingly small number of users affected by this issue. Anyways, I found the leading bug report at launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fs/+bug/207072

A patch has been submitted which appears to work. There are instructions on how to recompile gvfs with it. I imagine this is going to be like recompiling any other part of repository software in that you basically break updates for that component if you choose to compile a non-repo version. If anyone knows of a fix for that let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    Still surprised at the seemingly small number of users affected by this issue. Anyways, I found the leading bug report at launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fs/+bug/207072

A patch has been submitted which appears to work. There are instructions on how to recompile gvfs with it. I imagine this is going to be like recompiling any other part of repository software in that you basically break updates for that component if you choose to compile a non-repo version. If anyone knows of a fix for that let me know.
    I'm having the same trouble, I've seen it now on 2 different computers. They were both fresh installs of Hardy. Mind you the same thing happened in upgrades.

Here is another thread about this bug.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784259&page=2

Beans

it occures to me too... with a fresh hardy install
    Nobody was born with linux knowledge!
    Here's my experience with Ubuntu linux on laptops: http://linux.aldeby.org

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nlangmaid View Post
    I have a similar problem. When I use Places > Network to browse the network, the system can see all the servers, but not the shares on those servers. No error message, just a blank window.

My workaround while waiting for better brains to fix the problem is to use Places > Connect to Server ... This seems to work.
    I have a similar problem. I have set up bookmarks to network Windows shares on a server on our domain. All of my data is on this server folder. It almost always works but periodically when I browse to a specific sub/sub/sub folder it will not open. It throws an error message that says "could not display all of the contents of "0708 Reqs": Invalid Argument"

Oddly enough, sometimes I can go to an email in evolution and navigate to an attachment just fine in this network shared folder. Also, the sub-folders (and the documents inside) that are parallel to this one work just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

anyone willing to do a bit of work in the command line can fix this fairly easily. please see the second link in my sig.

Beans

I have a similar set of problems and have discovered some of the workarounds people have been discussing. But there is another layer to my woes, as well.

My Ubuntu HH machine has recently been added to an all-Windows share network. Some of the baoxes are Vista, some XP. The shares all work in Win. They all have a workgroup name of "WYZ."

Over on the Ubuntu box, I have learned that:

1) If I use "Places" to browse the network, I see the "XYZ" network but cannot see the machines within it.

2) If I manually add "XYZ" as my "domain" in the Manual Configuration of the Network Connections, then I can see the machines in "XYZ" . . . but cannot see the shares on the machines. (I know this is a reported bug already, and the workaround is #3, below).

3) If I use "Places / Connect To Server" and enter "COMPNAME/ShareName" then I can actually browse the share and it is mounted. I can save the share as a bookmark in places and all is well.

Or so it seems.

The problem is that the new domain (or workgroup) of "XYZ" does not persist after rebooting. I have edited the smb.conf file to add "Workgroup = XYZ" and lots of other things too, but to no avail. EVERY time I reboot, if I want to see the window shares, I need to do steps 2 and 3 above.

So, here is my question . . . is there any way to make new domain names persist across sessions? I have tried so many things my head is spinning. There must be something that I am missing, where domain is wiped on boot or something.

Help?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast