Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can't see windows shares in nautilus

Beans

can't see windows shares in nautilus

With Hardy, when with nautilus I browse my windows-domain network, I can see the list of all servers and client, but when I double-click on one object, I cannot see any shares !
    Nautilus give me "0 objects".

When I insert the complete share path (like: smb://server/share), it ask me for authentication and lets me enter.

Reading varius bugs reports, I learnd that it seems to be a gvfs bug.

do you know if there is a solution to this bug ?
    It should be a priority bug !! It causes me a lot of problem when I use my ubuntu laptop at work !!

Beans

Re: can't see windows shares in nautilus

I have the same problem.

I went chasing down bug reports, and found that there is a problem with Nautilus. It appears the coders broke something either in Nautilus or gvfs.

If you're not familiar with it, gvfs allows your applications to access remote filesystems (like ftp, smb) seamlessly as if they were on your local system, without having to mount it. Nautilus used to use gnome-vfs, which was quirky. It seems the migration needs a little work

I'm surprised, and dissapointed that Hardy was released with this bug. It's a show-stopper for many people who are not wise in the ways of the force, er... network file paths

There is a patch for it, but i'd recommended you wait for the update, and use the exact path to your shares for now.
    Last edited by Impact_666; April 25th, 2008 at 12:21 AM.

Beans

It's weird. I haven't had this problem until recently. I installed a hard drive onto my homemade server just for the purpose of backing up my stuff on Ubuntu, lol. I will say though that it will start working at random times which is weird...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have a similar problem. When I use Places > Network to browse the network, the system can see all the servers, but not the shares on those servers. No error message, just a blank window.

My workaround while waiting for better brains to fix the problem is to use Places > Connect to Server ... This seems to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nlangmaid View Post
    My workaround while waiting for better brains to fix the problem is to use Places > Connect to Server ... This seems to work.
    I concur, this does work. It will have to do until the problem is fixed, or we all give up and switch over to another file manager.

Beans

Man I thought I was going NUTS! At least I'm not the only one with this problem. KDE works fine but Nautilus in Gnome doesn't work for browsing windows network shares. I spent the whole weekend tooling around with things. Using any Gnome distro like Ubuntu Studio doesn't allow me to browse network shares. Connecting manually works. Using KDE 3 or 4 works immediately. Wonder if XFCE has the same bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I can not get the connect to server to work as in Gutsy. Pointing at the path works and doesn't work. Often asks for login and then i cant proceed. Searching for help almost suggests it's only happening to me. There is as mentioned a nautilus bug which was fixed to resolve this. But as I can not just connect to server it has been a show stopper for me and I've had to go back to Gutsy.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Ger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have all my data stored on Windows network shares, so I can't use Hardy because of this bug. Booted into XP for now.

I'd also like to add that if a workaround method is used to access the passworded share, the ~/.gvfs folder still gets messed up. If you run an ls on it you'll see a bunch of ????? instead of the normal folder permissions/info output.

It's kinda strange to only see a relatively small number of people commenting about this bug. Does everyone use unsecured Windows shares?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    It's kinda strange to only see a relatively small number of people commenting about this bug. Does everyone use unsecured Windows shares?
    Probably. I tell people, from day 1, use passwords, and lock everything down, even if they think it's trivial. Many people think passwords are inconvenient (more so than being hacked?).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ger_mulvey View Post
    I can not get the connect to server to work as in Gutsy. Pointing at the path works and doesn't work. Often asks for login and then i cant proceed. Searching for help almost suggests it's only happening to me. There is as mentioned a nautilus bug which was fixed to resolve this. But as I can not just connect to server it has been a show stopper for me and I've had to go back to Gutsy.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Ger.
    What are you entering into the "Connect to Server" dialog?

Are your network shares password protected?

Are you specifying the correct domain?

Please provide some additional information.

PS: I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help, provided my 11 month old son continues taking his 3 daily naps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast